Rude and CRAZY Custom Transformer guy....

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cannikin

So I subscribed to AudioXpress magazine because a couple forum members have written articles for it.... figured what the hell I'll check it out. In the magazine their are a few ads for custom transformers.... I thought... Cool see whats up.

I'm looking to have some power transformers to be made for another federal limiter, all I need in a 175-0-175 @ 60mA. No filaments (already have the filament transformer).

I looked through the Magazine and found an ad "AUDIO TRANSFORMERS - america's premier winder" based in WI. no catalog, email for quote.. the email name is AUTRAN.

Here is my interaction:

cannikin:
Hello,

I saw your ad in AudioXpress magazine, I would like to get a price quote for a quantity of Two custom power transformers:
175-0-175 @ 60mA
no filament windings

thank you
David

AUTRAN
Are you using a push-pull silicon diode system or a FWB going into a cap?

cannikin
Hello there,

175-0-175 @60mA
6AX5 rectifier to filter cap.

AUTRAN
One pair with end covers will cost you $700.00. Please remember that this is custom work which includes design and setup time. What about filament voltage for the rectifier tube?
Payment is by a bank cashier's check or a US Postal MO. Turnaround time right now is about three weeks.
D+c H*y*r
Audio Transformers.

cannikin
Wow! I was quoted by heyboer transformers for 48.00 each.
thanks but that is way over my budget for 2 power transformers.
David

AUTRAN
go for it and good luck with chinese stuff

cannikin
Heyboer is located in Michigan, Edcor is USA made, and even Electra Print quoted 46.00.
these are power transformers...........?
I don't really care........ I don't need it wound in silver or gold.
your reply is a good way to keep customers.

take care

AUTRAN
I gave you my price. You made your choice so good luck. We don't work for peanuts.

As I understand it, he's the guy the CJ references all the time, who really does seem to know almost everything about any transformer made in the last 60+ years. I think power transformers are really low on the list for him, and he's to be used for re-winds of your blown-up original Fairchild 660 or RCA BA-6A iron. Not for a lowly power trans, apparently, given his prices which he surely understands. I see him paying top dollar to acquire various pieces of vintage iron all the time, and assume he's stripping them down for research. Bedside manners not known among the genious types usually.....

edited...mis-read the original post...(and for clarity, I don't disagee that it wasn't exactly the friendliest reply)

I suppose you can't get mad at someone for asking whatever crazy price they want. If you think its silly, move on....

David

I'm david and correct he is doc hoyer.

he made the unprovoked snide and incorrect comment about cheap chinese stuff after a simple inquiry and assuming only if he specializes in super high-end stuff; subsequently wasn't interested in a simple power transformer he should have just said so without being a douche bag.

doesn't matter -- 700.00 is retarded

David , that reminds me of a builders quote that I had last year for some
work on my property.
I knew that it was going to be about £2000 and was expecting a bit more
I got a quote for £6000 !!!!

All that means is " I'm too busy, so here's a stupid quote to put you off "

I think that's exactly what you got with a $700 quote - a PUT OFF !

regards,

Marty

He may also be feeling the pressure losing sales to undercutting chinese flood of inferior crap ,
that and sticking to his guns by not devalueing his own product / service
[ right or wrong ] if you can make a living from high end stuff , bravo
could have been a little more polite if he wanted to earn your business ,
but how many studios still get people calling to see if they're trowing out
any old pultecs and kicking tires , maybe Cj has an informed opinion
where to get em ?

I've seen $300-$350 mentioned many times as his minimum charge for ANYTHING. Seems it should be in the ad to keep the tire kickers away. That would also spell out that he doesn't do power.

I agree it's a put off. But the guy should be a little more sales oriented. I would bet even money that when sales are slow he's singing a different tune. :wink:

[quote author="beatpoet"]I usually pay at least $6500 USD per power transformer.[/quote]

I can cut you a deal for them @ $6250, PM me and I'll set you up with all the details. :wink:

[quote author="abby normal"]I would bet even money that when sales are slow he's singing a different tune. :wink:[/quote]

I doubt his sales are slow, and I think he's in the age bracket where he doesn't have to care. But I'm speculating. He has no problem paying top dollar for stuff, so his approach is across the board. I need a BA-6A interstage re-wound, he's the guy I'm gonna call.

[quote author="solder_city"]the reply *was* a little snotty but 'rude and crazy' is an overstatement unless you have really thin skin[/quote]

It was simply a "**** off" quote. He probably wasn't trying to be offensive, simply trying to regulate his workload. Occasionally I use the same technique myself, when too many people come knocking on the door. Surprisingly often the customer calls you on it and you get stuck with the job anyway when you'd really be doing something else or being somewhere else. The $$$ eases the pain.
M

I think it's fairly rare that someone will have great technical skills and great public relation skills. In a larger company he probably wouldn't be the one answering general inquiries.

Steve

The way I hear it:
1) You asked the price
2) He quoted the price
3) You got offended and personal
4) He got offended and personal

If you don't like the price, just move on. No reason to get offended and personal, and I think it is bad form to post this on a public forum as well.

Best regards,
Joel

Back