DIY'ers in Shenzen or Shanghai

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rochey

White Market Member
Any DIY'ers in Shenzen or Shanghai?
I'm going to be there this weekend and partially next weekend... I really want to find the cool places to buy components :)

/Dafydd

[quote author="Rochey"]Any DIY'ers in Shenzen or Shanghai?
I'm going to be there this weekend and partially next weekend... I really want to find the cool places to buy components :)

/Dafydd[/quote]

Avoid Shenzen until I calm down a bit - In my current mood, If I happened to have a spare nuclear arsenal, I'd cheerfully flatten the place. Currently all I can hope for is that all their fortune cookies turn out inauspicious....
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=118756
M

There's an equivalent to Akihibara electronics market there that you might check out. If I can dig it up, I know there's also one in Guangzhou.

http://www.bunniestudios.com/wordpress/?p=147

In the comments, it says that it's at Huaqiang Lu subway station.

I have never been there, but if it's like the other markets I've been to in China, go prepared to bargain.

I'm planning on making the trip myself. Ask about mic capsules.

I think Guangzhou and Shanghai are about 750 miles apart. Shanghai is off the Yellow Sea near Japan and Guangzhou is in the bay that is near Hong Kong in the South China Sea.

Ningbo is the one of the main industrial and manufacturing areas. It is about 75 miles over water from Shanghai or a 4-6 hr. ride on the shuttle train which costs about $20 round trip for a "soft seat".

[quote author="blandman74"]There's an equivalent to Akihibara electronics market there that you might check out. If I can dig it up, I know there's also one in Guangzhou.

http://www.bunniestudios.com/wordpress/?p=147

In the comments, it says that it's at Huaqiang Lu subway station.

I have never been there, but if it's like the other markets I've been to in China, go prepared to bargain.

I'm planning on making the trip myself. Ask about mic capsules.[/quote]

I'm definately going to Shenzhen SEG Market -- supposedly even better than Akihabera.

However, I don't have much to compare it to... last time I was in Akihabera (only a few weeks ago) - I had an awful case of gout in my knee.

After that, I promised myself never to venture the japanese rail system again without a full bill of health.

/R

Ok... just got back from the SEG market... that place is well and truly nuts.
Everything is off a reel, or in a large box. I tried getting some polarized pin headers, and they wouldn't talk to me for less than 1000 units.

Having said that, the 1000 units price would put some of the catalog guys to shame.

Next time I go, I'm definately taking my camera - in the mean time, I may just document my purchases too. (knobs, crystals, connectors and a pair of digital calipers!)

here's hoping that they all work! :)

The downside - -the smog is just UGLY in this town.. you just lose the will to breathe.

Thought I'd post in this thread to keep the China knowledge in one place.  Has anyone been to the Guangzhou Electronics Market?  I'll be going there in a few weeks and hope to check it out.

Hey all,

In Lanzhou China now and traveling to Guangzhou on Friday, hoping to check out the component markets there.  I can't imagine there's a good way to avoid counterfeit parts but if possible I'm hoping to stock up on film and electrolytic caps.  I'll try to operate on the basis that super cheap is worth the risk.

Anyone been?

Cheers,
Ruairi

Latest posts

Back