Neumann U473 (thanks [silent:arts]!)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hey guys-

there were two different packages with the U473, one was in a vertical cassette and the other was in a horizontal cassette. I had a pair of verticals and they were the most unspecial units in the universe. The horizontal ones that Ive used (which inspired me to find the verticals in the first place, not realizing there was a difference) fully ruled. does anyone know if there is any real difference between the two, Ive only used those four units total, so maybe I just imagined it or had a pair that just didnt have the mojo...

dave

I have two original U473 (black vertical ones).
On 1 of them, when I use in stereo mode (linked wired) controlled by the other one , all works fine.
But in mono mode , the unit is dead.
From what I remember, I replaced all the easy available IC's ( these on a socket) with zero result.
anyone knows where to look at ??

... and a picture of an open unit ...
U473_open.jpg

Dude, in a couple of days you already deserves the title: 'Neumann Guy'...

Thanks a bunch!

I have two original U473 (black vertical ones).
On 1 of them, when I use in stereo mode (linked wired) controlled by the other one , all works fine.
From what I remember, I replaced all the easy available IC's ( these on a socket) with zero result.
anyone knows where to look at ??
ahum ahum :wink:

[quote author="andre tchmil"]I have two original U473 (black vertical ones).
anyone knows where to look at ??[/quote]
Your audio-path is ok, you have to look in the sidechain.

Guys - I realize that this is an older thread and I don't know if you're going to see this new post. How do you guys like the U473's? What is their compression like given that these are VCA-based? We usually only use light compression settings. No heavy squashing. I'm thinking about purchasing a pair of these. Please comment. Dana Walcott.

[quote author="Anonymous"]

I am seeing a modern U473 with THAT VCA's! [/quote]

has anyone attempted this yet?

what chip(s) did you use?

Latest posts

Back