Altec 436 Thingy

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winston OBoogie

Evening Gentlemen.
So as to not derail the Altec 436 thread in The Drawing Board but to partially respond to one or two posts:

"okgb:
Not sure how THAT , will help sell books
but good luck buddy ,
if i can't borrow one , i won't worry about it ,
Don't (think) that it's the kind of thing i'd keep for a reference ,
once the entertainment value is gone .

Unfortunately, you're far from alone in your attitude of not wishing to pay for entertainment.
Music, movies and books seem to hold little value to some people.

I do feel I provided enough free entertainment in my time on this forum though, and I see from a recent post of yours that people are still benefiting from at least one morsel.
In http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=319072&highlight=#319072

abby normal has asked for a 610 schematic:

"The 610 one that was floating around here a while back would be thee schematic I seek. I think it was distributed in pdf form if you need to use that little doggy to do a search.

I would really appreciate it. Wink"

okgb replies:

"check your email"

I drew that particular schematic (that's my name on the bottom) which you sent to Mr Normal.
Of course, now that it's been on The Internets for a coupla years, it has no value and I'm just another arse-hole. Oh well...

And Doug writes:

"Yep, I got a take-down request on my post too....I (or anyone here) can
reword it entirely and it's certainly fair use; it's factual information."

Ah, but is it factual? I wrote it and I might have made it all up. :grin:

Anyway, thank you for your understanding.
Also, in your very first post on these fora, I see you gave a bunch of nice info concerning the Altec 9475A. You ended your post with:

"I think I'm working on a book, so compiled contents copywrite 2005 Doug Williams"

The page of mine that had been copied and posted here had my copyright at the bottom (as we discussed, you had honestly missed that bit so fair enough) but the deal was - I had posted a temporary link to it in The Lab as a nice gesture. After a reasonable amount of time (two months or so) I moved it to a non-public site, as is my right.

Tubemooley confesses:

"I already saved the entire edited book quote yesterday to my PC."

Cool.

And reveals:

"The RS124 may very well rock. It probably does. But apparently the guy at Revolution is very sick with some long-term illness..."

Thank you for your concern regarding my health and other things.

Lastly, on this Altec thingy-

dripelectronics advises:

"in the image above

you join tracks at some really sharp angles .
try to avoid that , its bad form"

This matters not here unless we're drawing pretty pictures.
A better approach for an improved PCB would probably be borne out of an understanding of these quite basic circuits.
Even in your little picture of the power supply: http://lomayesva.com/dripelectronics/altec-sketch.jpg
I see there is potential for making a better amplifier without changing, removing or adding values.

However,since there are those who sell PCBs for profit on here, I think it would be quite daft of me to offer free advice.
Anyway, it'll, no doubt, work "OK" - no better or worse than Nadege had originally drawn out.

Oh yeh, somebody asked me the other day why I erased a lot of my posts here? In short, because I felt like it.
I was prompted by several things though:

1/ A hard to come by schematic I drew out and posted here ended up on some "for sale/trade" site.
This was hardly my intention for its use when I uploaded it.

2/ I received an email regarding an original design of mine that I had posted in rudimentary form on here. The email sender asked if there were substitute parts available as they wanted to use the circuit in a commercial product. I responded by giving them my address so they could send me my usual licensing fee. Never heard back.

Other things rubbed me the wrong way too but that would require me naming name(s) and it isn't worth it.

Upshot: I wasn't about to read through my 400+ posts of mostly drivel to find and extract one or two bits and pieces that I thought were in my
best interests.

So, this post will possibly/maybe/potentially/probably or not likely be erased by me later. Regardless, I doubt I have time to respond to replies so carry on and, moderators, pull the bloody thing if you wish.

Peace.

what mystery! there are so many important threads that your commentary has been deleted from--a conspiracy? mythic, legendary.

Hey John. I'm not really familiar with all the things you're referring to in your post. Nor is it really my business. I just wanted to say it's nice to see you around, shame it's for less than sunny reasons. Hope all is well. :thumb:

I totally understand John. Good to see you have your health. And thank you for all those morsels. :wink:

It was more a response to the attitude of all or nothing ,
I'd certainly rather pay someone directly if that was the case
AND support my library , i'd also rather read hardcopy
than spend more time on the screen .
But i agree if the author has worked hard , he should be rewarded
and it is his work .
The MP3 download attitude and chinese manufacture dislosure is
another story , I'll think twice before thinking that i'm helping someone ,
If that's not the case [ opposite effect ]

regards

Latest posts

Back