Relay problem that's not the relay.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hodad

Here's the thing: I'v got this old Ibanez sdr1000 reverb, & the bypass switch is hooked to a relay. When I first turn the unit on, the bypass relay works fine. After a couple of minutes, though, there's a very small noise & the relay ceases to work. It'll work again after a long rest, but stops again just as quickly.

I've replaced the relay--to no avail. The relay doesn't seem to be overheating or emitting untoward noises. My question is, since the relay itself isn't the problem, where should I be looking? Is it likely to be a problem with the bypass switch itself, or a voltage issue, or what?

Thanks
tom

Measure the voltage on the relay coil, cold and warm, and work backward to the power source.

What I've discovered so far is that the voltage off one of the 12v regulators is reading 0.62 & 1.81 v. This reg powers the relays and the display (which also only works sporadically, natch.) So naturally the relays don't work since they're not getting enough juice. Here are my vague suspicions at this point.
1. A bad component or crap connection is pulling down the 12v regulator.
2. The voltage reg is "latching" or locking up (I seem to remember some problems like this with the SSL clone?)
3. The regulator itself is bunk.

Also: I just popped off the connectors that go from the PCB to the display & saw no change in the voltage off the 12v reg. And the voltage going into the reg is about 19, so the problem is definitely at the regulator or somewhere downstream.

Thoughts?

Tom

Latest posts

Back