Cases Where To Find LA-2A Type?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abby normal

I was wondering where I could find those 3 unit rack cases with the fold out front panel like you see with the LA-2A, or Bloo's. I've seen the Hammond's but they don't have the hinges like these do.
Sorry, I know there's the "all things LA2A" thread. I did a search and something came up in there but there's like 200 pages in that thread and I think I gave up after pg. 20. :razz:

[quote author="abby normal"]So you take one of those Hammond cases and spot weld a hinge on it?[/quote]

I think that the "real" abby normal would go that route. I mean for chissakes he has the Frankenshtein shop at his disposal!

:razz:

Well, it's not the same case though.

The top and bottom are much thinner, and 'flex' a lot.

IF you want that functionality, it will work, but not quite the same.

If you just want the 'look', paint a couple of thin vertical lines 25mm in from each edge, glue-or-screw a 'blind' hinge along the bottom edge, along with some countersunk screws which only LOOK like they're serving a purpose, and use thumbscrews in the top two screw holes!

-I did the 'thumbscrews' bit with one unit here on my bench right now...

09-WIth-bloo.jpg

The Bloo case was custom made (for Steve, when he was in the LA-2a replica business) because nobody else makes such a case. The bottom unit was a 'rescue' of somebody else's DIY which never got finished... If the knobs had been drilled in the 'correct' locations, I'd have made the unit look even MORE like an original, but picture it with two 'fake' separation lines, and a 'blind' hinge... by the time it's in the rack, you'd never look twice at it! :thumb:

Oh... and that meter has been fixed (thanks noulou!!! :thumb:) but -once again- imagine that panel with the controls in the correct place, and with a 'correct-looking' bezel-mount meter...

FWIW, I have several genuine LA-2a's here, and one remaining Bloo unit. -In operation in the rack, I never have any need to flip down the front panel, and for on-the-bench service it doesn't matter all THAT much if you hinge the front down or lift the lid... although the front panels DO tend to get scratched up easily on the flip-front models, so I have to use a soft cloth on the bench.

Keith

i know, it was just a quick find - depht is 200 mm...
how much is the original depht? (or the one from the bloo? )
77mm/ 3" ?

i found something like this:
http://www.galore-flightcase.com/katalog/x_daten/19zollzubehoer/6598a.htm
mounting a proper hinge with screws like in the original -

there´s so much 19" stuff around, i´m sure one can find something.

All good suggestions guys, keep em coming. Thank you

Hey Keith, is that a Hammond box used on that rescue job you did? If so did he sand blast that to get it down to bare metal and brushed it out for that look? I'm not seeing these available without a powder coated finish.

Thank you for the tip. Those look pretty cool. I can powder coat that face plate easy. With the Hammonds you would have to sand blast them first unless that's the color you want to go with. I'm surprised they don't offer it bare.

Where did you get the graphics for that rescue job?

Cough, cough, (abbynormalist/at/gmail/dot/com) :wink:

No... the front panel is full-width and covers the mounting flanges...

la2a_19.jpg

la2a_13.jpg

Also of note... no hinge.

So if it's for the LOOK then you would still have to 'fake' it even with the Hammond. -Personally I wish that Par metal made a shallower case, because that would be perfect, but if I were to build another one, it would probably be inside a Par Metal case, and if I wanted it to look more authentic, I'd 'fake' the hinge as well as the shut lines.

Keith

If you have the time and the resources you could make one out of the Hammond and spot weld two small pieces of steel bent a 90 degrees for the top nut mounts, cut that front panel down on both sides and spot weld a hinge to it and the enclosure.
The only thing I see that's an issue is those extra set of holes on the rack ears. Nothing some metal putty fill can't fix. Even some short allen wrench bolts would look cool.

I saw that that one, great job! I was going to ask about that one.

True about doing one from scratch, but you would need a fairly large break and shear to bend and cut the metal work, also a layout would be handy too. Ouch.

Modifying a Hammond would be short work by comparison. A local welding shop could do it for you. And if they even charged I would bet they would be pretty fair. You could always bolt the stuff on like that one you just posted.

No bending.

No Shearing.

None.

Extrusions for top & bottom, Home-Depot 1" angle alloy for the sides, sheet aluminium hacksawed and filed for front & back.

Sides are flat pieces also, screws into the extrusion, screws into the angle.

Keith

Back