Fake rack gear on Evilbay

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Marty,

Let us know how you like the panel! (assuming you win.)

If the shipped item is like in the picture, then it's a really cheap way to get your metalwork done for you!

the bottom of the panel is hinged. I wonder why. He need more and better pics so we can see exactly what it is he is selling. 26 pounds is like 40$ US isnt it?

I don't get this, from my point of view he has already done/arranged the 'hard' work and then stops before the easy & fun part begins :roll: :shock: :cool:

Or is he just using plugins ? Thinking a bit further on that, it'd be totally sick if good original looking clones would appear on the market with functional controls, but then in the form of say encoders sending out MIDI-data to control a plugin...

... but while that might be kind of new for those boxes on eBay I realize it's not totally new of course, we had for instance already this controller:

KLC1.jpg

There is something horribly wrong going on here. Scam auctions? Overstock from a counterfeit factory? You can't fabricate those Manley panels at those prices.

I'm seeing that these look like the real enclosures. Why would the back panels be drilled and have screen print on them if you were just making a clone for front panel aesthetics?
I would guess them to be original enclosures given to a big studio or big name touring act as part of an endorsement or advertisement deal.
I'm pretty sure they were not intended to be sold on evilbay. I hope someone does not buy one to put clone guts in it and resell it as an original. That would be bad all around.

Guitar Center has "fake" panels like that for Manley gear in their showrooms...I'd agree these probably aren't meant to be up on ebay; I could even imagine that they're usually just "loaned" to retailers to avoid exactly this kind of situation...

The LA-2A is a REAL but empty enclosure , that's why I'm after it chaps !!
( it also has the real VU inside and all the pots )

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't push the price on that one IT"S MINE !! :green:

The Rest are a mixture of fake and real panels, the Manley EQ that I'm also
after has ALL the pots and knobs / switches from a real one and is worth
quite a bit due to that !
I may also go for the UAD, which is real too !!

I have not enquired about where they came from, just what they are.

Marty.

Those are blanks, from the manufacturers. Ususally used for stores, so there's less chance of theft and also for trade shows. It's a lot cheaper to ship just a front panel, than a completed piece of gear if you don't need to.

A great score at that price if you want them.

> Guitar Center has "fake" panels like that for Manley gear in their showrooms...I'd agree these probably aren't meant to be up on ebay; I could even imagine that they're usually just "loaned" to retailers to avoid exactly this kind of situation...

I wuz in Staples office supply, picked up a $89 scanner on display. It was hollow. No scan-bar, no jack, no guts, just an empty shell. So yeah, retailers must be getting display-dummies.

I was making empty "sham" rack mount (LOFT) products for dealers, back in the '80s. Often little more than a faceplate with a few pots and knobs...

Dealers want to look like they have a well fleshed out display case, but rarely want to display real units for every model in a given product line. Likewise customers want to buy a new unit in a box, not a previously racked up unit.

There wasn't a huge demand for these, so I wouldn't expect there to be a lot of them out there...

JR

I managed to win one Item, the UAD 6176 front :D
That'll make a nice pre & 1176, I'll just have to choose a suitable "pre" stage
for it !
£47 , so not too bad !

MM.

Oh and don't worry, I'm not going to try and "pass it off" as a real 6176 or
try to sell it !!
It's just a nice front for me :D

( missing one knob which is a shame :-( )

MM.

Latest posts

Back