have you seen that? (condenser capsule on *bay)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pyjaman

LINK
any opinion?
Could be interesting for DIY, depending on what it is...
I've asked the seller for more info... could post his reply if someone is interested...

Laurent.

[edited: embedded link to assist page formatting -Keith]

without more info its hard to tell. my guess is that these are the same "made in china" capsules sold here. http://member.rivernet.com.au/gwagner/micparts/lowcost_capsules.htm

If it's a Studio Projects capsule it'll be a 797 Audio capsule, Single diaphragm suggests B1 perhaps, but I'm not familiar with all of their diameters.

The Q&A at the bottom contains this nugget:
hard to find a cheap condenser capsule without buying the crappy mike going with it...
I wouldn't call the body or electronics of the Studio Electronics mics shich I've seen "Crappy". Nice solid metalwork, and excellent components, mounted on high quality PCBs... mainly limited in my experience by the capsule... certainly in the case of the B1.

So this seems like an enormous risk. -Not knowing how it's been stored or if it's suffered from being handled (the seller professes a degree of ignorance, and I would NEVER buy a loose capsule from ANYONE who wasn't rather familiar with exactly how they should be treated) means that this might be useless by now.

The B1 capsule is also no good for a G7, -even if you wanted a cardioid-only version, these capsules have the HF-boost which would make it rather unpleasanly bright for most 'normal' peoples tastes. It's really designed for the typical 'cardioid-only U87' type of circuit.

...Which you get for free if you sprong the extra $10 and get the rest of the mic... metalwork, connector, grille and circuit, using nice WIMA caps...

Really, this isn't much of a deal. You could buy the mic for $10 more and be assured that the cap has been correctly treated. -In fact, shipping costs might make it MORE expensive than the mic...

Keith

i wouldn't buy from someone who can't provide any infomation about the item they are selling. the seller is a regular seller,who deals in mics etc(see their Ebay store linked to in the post)the seller must have some idea as to what they have,at least how it came into their possesion.

Thanks for all the advices, gentlemen. For sure, I won't take the risk since the seller has no more informations... But I'm a newb' here, I've not enough knowlege, and I'm not familiar with those chinese capsules which I've eard "some" can be fairly good... That's why I ask IF it could have chance to be a good deal.
so, thanks again.

[quote author="SSLtech"]If it's a Studio Projects capsule it'll be a 797 Audio capsule, Single diaphragm suggests B1 perhaps, but I'm not familiar with all of their diameters.

The Q&A at the bottom contains this nugget:
hard to find a cheap condenser capsule without buying the crappy mike going with it...
I wouldn't call the body or electronics of the Studio Electronics mics shich I've seen "Crappy". Nice solid metalwork, and excellent components, mounted on high quality PCBs... mainly limited in my experience by the capsule... certainly in the case of the B1.[/quote]
This is about the Studio Projects B1, right ? Hmm, so far I had the impression that it wasn't too bad as a entry-level condenser mic... but so much for reviews...

Only reason I haven't bought one yet was that I've been considering to go for the SP B3 instead because of the added patterns.

Peter, I have two, and you couldn't DIY anything anywhere near as good for the price. -They get used as spot mics.

Owning a B3 would allow me to do more Mid/Side recording... most spot mics end up plain ol' cardioid, so it wouldn't do much there. -I think the low end differs slightly between the single-diaphragm and the dual, but others here may know more about that.

For a general purpose mic, the SP B1 is tough to beat at the price. -VERY tough.

Keith

Maybe those SP mics could be a bit of fun with one of Dale's capsules if you fancied a bit of experimentation. I wonder how this might compare to mics worth the total sum.

I'm going to try Dales M7 in my Oktava valve mic and see how that compares. It'll certainly be quite different seeing as the Oktava capsule has a lot of character (whether you like it or loathe it).

I thought the capsule pictured looked like the Tenlux capsule. I haven't seen that many to know for sure though.

Thanks Keith for the response - there wasn't an automated e-notification and when this thread came to mind again I saw there had been new entries.

But that's better news, I had the impression you disliked the B1 in some way.

Everybody knows that the Dutch like deals, so it'd be cool to get a few 'mics into one' with that SP B3: indeed having the B3 in mind i.s.o. the B1 for the added figure-8 pattern.
FWIW, been using a ribbon (T-Bone RB500) for the 'S' of M/S but am curious how a condenser would work there. Must say though that that RB500 doesn't combine too badly with a MD421/441 (so a dynamic M/S-duo; but now let's try an all all-condenser setup).

What was holding me back was a certain review that was impressed by the B1-cardioid, but not so much by the cardioid-mode of the B3... but so much for reviews....

I figure B1 & B3 could possibly be suited partners for a complete M/S-duo, but let's first get the B3 and try it with a card-condenser I have already around.

Thanks again for the thumbs up,

Peter

[quote author="SSLtech"]Peter, I have two, and you couldn't DIY anything anywhere near as good for the price. -They get used as spot mics.

Owning a B3 would allow me to do more Mid/Side recording... most spot mics end up plain ol' cardioid, so it wouldn't do much there. -I think the low end differs slightly between the single-diaphragm and the dual, but others here may know more about that.

For a general purpose mic, the SP B1 is tough to beat at the price. -VERY tough.

Keith[/quote]

Back