AVI DATA RATE?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

I'm ignorant about mpeg, but I like to watch movies. Unfortunately I got a file with 119 kbps data rate. My Philips player can't show it (makes frequent pauses thinking deeply). Is it possible to convert the file somehow so it will be happy?

Wavebourn,

Your question is a little vague.

Are you talking about an mpeg-4 movie (DivX/XVID) that is playing slowly in your Philips mpeg-4-capable DVD player?

That data rate isn't really big at all, I am looking at a 2-CD (1.36 Gb) XVID right now that is over 200 kbps and runs fine in my Toshiba DivX player.

Maybe it's a CD/DVD with burn errors?

I am assuming a lot of stuff here, maybe you could clarify a bit?

William

Hi wavebourn,

The average DATA rate of a DVD is about 3.5 to 6 Mbps !!! (3500 kbps to 6000 kps). We are far away your 119 kbps !
Your DVD player should very easily handle the 119 !

A "good" MP3 file, I mean "acceptable" has a DATA RATE of 160 kbps...

Are you able to read a "normal" DVD ?

eD))

I compared 2 files using Windows' "Properties", one that works well, another that does not hat's why I suspected "data rate" . I burned it twice, but anyway the file in question does not play well, it seems like it sucks some data in buffer then is doing something with it... It has AVI extension. Probably it is too heavy compressed, right? But it is about 700 MB like other movies that play well. Wen I play it on my laptop it plays smoothly, but Philips stops thinking about something then continues to play...
I'm downloading Nero now to try to convert it and save on a plain DVD, may be it helps... I walk in a darkness since I am totally ignorant in video formats.

You should try to copy the *.avi on the hardrive of your computer and see if the problem still occurs.

When you compress a video file, you've to choose a codec, there are many of them !
Some videocards are able to decode some codecs with their onboard chips, for others codecs, the CPU of your computer has to be used. Depending of the codec used for the encoding, the CPU of your computer will be more or less sollicitated.

Sometimes, it's better to have a 20 GIG video files uncompressed instead of a 2 GIG files heavily compressed, it will spare your CPU. It's good to know if for example you mix a movie, or a documentary and you need to save CPU. (=more plugins available for the mix)

Be aware that each time you recompress, you loose quality.

Some codecs are better than other. In use "Indeo". To me it has a good ratio quality of compression / load of the CPU.

What kind of computer do you have ?
Your Phillips player is it an external one ? If it's USB, be sure it is not connected on USB1.

eD)))

The Philips player is stand-alone, but when I insert the same disk to the computer it plays smoothly.
Is it possible to "repack" the file somehow?

Ok, I think I'm getting lost... :roll:

I'm not sure I understand. Are you trying to play *.avi movie which come from your computer with a "traditional" DVD player ? By "traditional", I mean, a "living room" DVD player...

Could you give us the exact ref # for that player ?

eD)))

[quote author="vertiges"]Ok, I think I'm getting lost... :roll:

I'm not sure I understand. Are you trying to play *.avi movie which come from your computer with a "traditional" DVD player ? By "traditional", I mean, a "living room" DVD player...

Could you give us the exact ref # for that player ?

eD)))[/quote]

It is Philips DVP5982/37

I bought Nero 8 today to avoid such problems in future (making DVD now)...

If the disc is fine in your computer, the problem is probably the movie encoding being incompatible with your player.

You can see if there is a firmware update for your player that might make it more compatible with more MPEG-4 settings/versions.

Or as you suggested, you could re-encode it with MPEG-4 settings you know are supported by your player.

If you have a video that you know plays well on your Philips, you can use a program called GSpot to find the encoding information and use this information to re-encode the problem movie.

VirtualDub is the standard for this type of stuff. Check out a guide at: http://www.doom9.org/index.html?/virtualdub_procedures.htm

Coverting media files to DVD video format takes a looong time. I used to watch movies that way. I bought an MPEG-4 player (Toshiba) and I have never looked back. MPEG-4 compatible DVD players are the way to go!

Good luck!

Allas. :(

Tried to upgrade firmware, it hung up, now tech supports wants me to ship it back... It's easier to buy a new one.
Thanks for the information! :thumb:

Back