Should I?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[quote author="tommypiper"]Someone mentioned some pages back that there is a stock transformer that looks to meet the PS transformer specs, except the 15v. http://www.antekinc.com/AN-1T250.pdf

The stock Antek will provide 250v (.5A), 12.6v(2amp)and 6.3v(3amp)

We need: 250V @ 80mA, 15V @20mA and 6.3V @3A

I'm always mixed up with different versions of milli -- is 80mA = .08A?

Is the 15v regulated? If so, we could probably get the 15v out of the 12.6v on the Antek? Someone tell me it will work, please. :grin:[/quote]

Is it possible to use this one from musikding.de
Has http://www.musikding.de/product_info.php/info/p1361_Toroidal-transformer-230V----250V--9V--24V.html

250V@ 100mA
9V @ 2.5mA
24V @ 100mA
Could get the 24 down to 15, with a nice big heatsink:thumb:

But is the 9V beefy enough?

Will there be a BOM published for this project, or will it arrive with the pcbs together with the schematic? If possible id like to order some stuff before i get the pcbs, as i need components for other projects also. To save on shipping.

Thanks!
/J

Hi,
as Volker mentioned before there will be a BOM published soon. The specs of the Musikding transformer won´t be sufficient for the pm670. You need:
134VA
prim.: 2x115V
sek.1: 250V/ 0,20A
sek.2: 9V/ 6,00A
sek.3: 2x 15V/2x1,00A
regards
Bernd

I talked to Edcor this morning and they waived the setup after I told them about the quantity involved.We'll get the part number in 2 days and if there are no GB organisers US buyers can get it from them directly.

Question:

For the secondaries Bern says 15-0-15 and Analag says 18-0-18 .Can somebody confirm ASAP.Currently I have given 15-0-15 to Edcor

[quote author="codered"]For the secondaries Bern says 15-0-15 and Analag says 18-0-18 .Can somebody confirm ASAP.Currently I have given 15-0-15 to Edcor[/quote]
the 15-0-15 (or 18-0-18) is mainly for regulated -17V.
I haven't had any problem reaching this with the 15V version.

15 * 1.41 = 21.2V
minus 3V for the regulator you have ?

the positive side is used for the bypass relays etc.
18V is not enough for +24V, but for +12V it would mean more more heat.
we have enough heat in this unit :green:

I would like to have the same specs from bernbrues transformer group buy,
and a toroid.

would make some support much simpler ...

[quote author="[silent:arts]"]

I would like to have the same specs from bernbrues transformer group buy,
and a toroid.

would make some support much simpler ...[/quote]

Yes, that sounds like a very good plan.

I'm afraid the Edcor is not a toroid. :roll:

[quote author="tommypiper"]I'm afraid the Edcor is not a toroid. :roll:[/quote]
mount it outside the case :grin:
I don't have experience with non toroid transformers and the XSMs.
but they are unshielded, and in a stereo unit you have 8 of them in the same box :shock:

[quote author="tommypiper"]Volker, how is your build coming?[/quote]

Volker's build is coming along just fine...we are working closely on the thing.

analag

[quote author="[silent:arts]"]
[/quote]

This is one thing i'm a bit concerned about. I have some 3HE cases i'm thinking of trying to mount this beast in. I could use perforated top and bottom covers but when mounted in the rack this won't have the same effect. Hmmm, unless i put it on top of the other units.

Or i could cut out holes on the side and put some mesh there. Would this be enough? Any suggestions as how to keep it cool?

[quote author="flintan"][quote author="[silent:arts]"]
[/quote]

This is one thing i'm a bit concerned about. I have some 3HE cases i'm thinking of trying to mount this beast in. I could use perforated top and bottom covers but when mounted in the rack this won't have the same effect. Hmmm, unless i put it on top of the other units.

Or i could cut out holes on the side and put some mesh there. Would this be enough? Any suggestions as how to keep it cool?[/quote]

I've successfully used side ventilation, with nothing other than lots of small drilled holes.

How sensitive is the design to the tube brand, mu, matching, etc? The tubes can be bought from anywhere between $3 and $60 each (for matched tubes dipped in fairy dust). I just picked up a set of $3 tubes, at least to get started. Is there any way to do our own tube matching/selection other than by ear, or perhaps a way to calibrate the circuit to the tubes used?

Thanks,
Chris

I guess you ain't read the first post I made when I started this thread. This mu compressor is not sensitive to tube mis-match. I did my homework in the cathode circuit to compensate for that.

analag

Thanks Analag. I wasn't following this project in the beginning and although I went back to catch up on it, I did miss that info.

-Chris

If you are worried about heat this case might be an option?

http://www.modushop.biz/ecommerce/cat078_l2.php?n=1

Might be overkill, I don't know. (I'm considering this one, but I'll wait until I have the PCB and the toroid as I'm not sure if there's enough room in this case)

Cheers!

G

what are the controls ? on the rendered pic I can see connections for gain, attack, treshold and a meter connection, and on the other side are some more... ?

Groo that one looks nice ! quite expensive, but I'm sure that you will be better off with a good sturdy case instead of a cheap thin piece of crap... this will be a heavy piece of gear

[quote author="elektrovolt"]what are the controls ? on the rendered pic I can see connections for gain, attack, treshold and a meter connection, and on the other side are some more... ?[/quote]
(Input) Gain, Threshold (or Compression), Attack (better: Time Constant)
and Bypass (or IN), Power, stereo link if you build a dual version.
the other connectors: remember you have to contact 4 transformers ...

thanks Volker.

well, seems to be even better laid out and sophisticated than I thought !
good job.
how does the stereo link work ? I guess it just compensates for an uneven stereo image (dunno how to say that in english)

Jimi

Back