In doubt about G9 capacity polarity, help plz

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tony dB

Hi,

I'm soldering a nice bunch of components on the nice G9 pbc's.
Since my electronics supplier didn't have any other than rad caps for C7 and 107 i just went for those. Unfortunaltey i don't get it where to put the +. :oops:
On the pcb there's a point refered too as CK, is this the positive side?

Tried the schematic but it is also refering to CK :?

On looking at some pictures http://recording.org/users/kev/G9_tube_micpre.htm i see that there's used poly's i have bought electrolytics.
I assume it's not a good idea to put in the lytics there?

Thanks for any help,

Cheers, :sam:

Tony

PS

C7/107 has some 60-100VDC across it, positive at the end that goes to tube cathode, negative where it goes to the control PCB.

But I wouldn't recommend using an electrolytic here - there's serious sonic difference between polyester and electrolytic at this position. This is also why I used the somehow bulky 10uF polyestercapacitor at that spot..

Jakob E.

Thanks Jakob! That was LIGHTNING fast, as electrons :grin:

I will go for the polys. I need to order those somewhere else as they're not stocked by my local supplier. Any ideas where to score best and fast?

I also need to order the valvestuff involved and a few other not so current available components...

Just noticed that the trimmer-legs are to thick to fit the holes on the pcb, what's the best option here? To trie and cut the lags smaller or to drill (freaky) a larger hole in the board?

Cheers,

Tony

You can get everything from RS and/or Farnell.

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

Kruz,

would you go for the Tesla based on quality or availability?
How much does the tube matters to the result in the G9?

and is there much difference in price between Tubetown.de and RS or Farnell (if you happen to have this information)?

I want to build one with OEP and one with Lundhall trannies. Anyone around here who did the same and can compare?

Tony,
I'll go for tesla's cause i've read good comments on them, especially from kubi, and i trust kubi :thumb:
and they are pretty cheap too..
Also, i don't think that farnell or rs sells tubes too.. or better.. i saw some on my fanell catalogue, but they are branded as "chelmer" (an unknown brand to me) but no ecc82 anyway.. and the sockets seems cheaper from tubetown too..

[quote author="kruz"]Also, i don't think that farnell or rs sells tubes too.. or better.. i saw some on my fanell catalogue, but they are branded as "chelmer" (an unknown brand to me)[/quote]
You can buy tubes from both RS and Farnell. Chelmer Valve is an English company. RS sells National tubes, which is a Richardson (US) brand name.

Tubes from both companies are tested Russian or Chinese tubes (or perhaps Slovak or Serbian). So the tubes are OK, just too expensive.

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

Thanks for the hints and tips...

I will split the order.
Double transportcost is a lot less than the differences in tubes

Cheers :guinness:

Tony

Latest posts

Back