Soldering "SMT flow Method"

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpuhhuh

You know when you see someone good and they inspire you to try to learn and prefect what they are doing? Well, I just came across these videos and I picked up a whole lot. I don't even remotely dabble in SMT but just for soldering in general this guy is an artist. Not just SMT, but also clean up, reworking, flux, tip temperature, tip type, solder bridges, chip lead removal and more. I doubt a robot does it much better.

http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=jkgamm041

Also check out his workstation and take time to read the comments too. A lot of explainations of what he does and the products he uses.

I'm impressed. (Mind you that may not be saying much.)

I think the guy's good - no doubt. However, I'd like to see him repeat the same process with Pb-free solder... Methinks it would not only take exponentially longer with Pb-free, but would also be nowhere near as aesthetically clean - not to mention the potential drop in reliability that will come about due to heating the components to hotter temperatures for far longer.

Thanks for posting the link - a glimpse inside the world of the pro 'reworker'.

Justin

In the comments he mentions using a Weller hoof tip. Any idea what the equivalent 900M series tip would be for Hakko irons? I did find this one but its "hoof" appears to be much more "cloven" than the one in the video.

--Bob

Back