Molex KK help

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gold

Is there anyone in the USA who has a Molex KK crimp tool who would be willing to crimp a 4 pin .100" connector for me?

I lost a pre crimped cable. It's for me and will not take much abuse so any clever hacks are also welcome.

I solder wire into KK pins for my part, never had any problem
When ordering KK pins, make sure you choose the good size :wink:

the kk is compatible with the 0.100 amp mta insulation displacement connectors. You can solder those as well if you are careful.

I have a crimper if you really need.

paper clip, small flathead, dental pick. They all work pretty well. If you get a bit heavy handed and mash down the tab, it bends back up as well.

I have a ton of KK pins to do. It looks like there may be a die for the Palladin 1300 frame that works. Is this true and if so what die do I need?

Assuming there is a die and I get it, will it hold the pin in place like an Elco crimp tool? If I need to buy the super duper crimper to hold the pin in place I'll stick with soldering.

http://www.action-electronics.com/molex.htm#Kk

About halfway down the page is a $39 dollar ratchet tool for MLX pins.
# PHT-98-601
Probably the best plan. Holds the pin just fine.

When you get it, note that they only go in one side properly, and that you push in the pin right to the bent stop on the pin. I ratchet it closed to 2 or 3 clicks toward closed and that holds the pin fine by surrounding it. The wire end will appear somewhat recessed when it's right. The goal, of course, is the first clamp on the pin to be on insulation and the second, wire.

[quote author="Larrchild"]I ratchet it closed to 2 or 3 clicks toward closed and that holds the pin fine by surrounding it. [/quote]

That's what I do with Elco and DL pins too. I also will do a few tests before I try it on the cables that have been cut and dressed with cable lacing :wink:

Because the wire end of the pin is recessed inside the crimper, the skill becomes how much wire to feed in to get the insulation only on the first clamp. A couple of duds will show all.=)

This is something that is far less of a problem when the wire end of the pin is flush with the back of the crimper so that you can judge.

Back