Dooley of AEA presenting Tuesday night 25th at AES LA

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bcarso

If you are in the greater LA area and interested in ribbons enough to make the trip to North Hollywood, you might want to attend. These lectures are free and open to all regardless of membership status. Dinner is optional and usually pretty decent,* and starts about 7PM, with the lecture at about 8PM.

http://www.aes.org/sections/la/

*Particularly if you bring your own wine, which the hotel staff doesn't seem to mind, although you can also buy it in the restaurant and bring it to the room.

That's fun, I hadn't read who posted this, directly read the text, saw the *, read about 'wine' and then guessed right who the poster was :wink:
This goes back to your post years ago about a bottle of good wine you had at home and the offer to send JFETs.

We might need a new emotion, there's indeed more in the world than beer.

Cheers,

Peter

Well, I try to keep a moderately low profile with the wine---one doesn't wish to drive clients away, let alone tempt recovering alcoholics. But as you can imagine I do attract the few who know I'll probably be serving some.

If anyone does come Tuesday, please say hello. I'll be the one with the aging hippie look, given my ponytail....no, wait, that applies to any number of the typical attendees! :razz:

Wes was in town last year, being entertained by my buddies over at Vintage King. It was wild to see him holding court at my local bar. He was a very, very nice fellow and quite interesting to talk to. He even gave me one of his stereo protractor mic mounts.

If you have the opportunity to go to one of his lectures, you should. :thumb:

[quote author="bcarso"]Well, I try to keep a moderately low profile with the wine---one doesn't wish to drive clients away, let alone tempt recovering alcoholics. But as you can imagine I do attract the few who know I'll probably be serving some.[/quote]

Believe me, I imagine you more as a connaisseur than as potential or actual abuser, so I felt free to comment on this issue :wink:

Well---you didn't miss ALL that much, although it was fun. Such presentations almost always turn into something of a commercial for the presenter's products, and this was no exception. However, we did get to hear about their (AEA) new active ribbon, with the Forssell-designed internal preamp and Lundahl 1:110 stepup. 6 dB self-noise, etc.

I had fun chatting with people at dinner, including a newbie who is working as an intern at a local luthier, and this his first experience with an AES chapter meeting. His eyes were big as saucers with anticipation, and I hope he wasn't disappointed.

His name is also Brad, and at one point he asked me what "OEM" meant.

Oh to be so young again as to not know that :grin:

[quote author="bcarso"]Well, I try to keep a moderately low profile with the wine---one doesn't wish to drive clients away, let alone tempt recovering alcoholics. But as you can imagine I do attract the few who know I'll probably be serving some.

If anyone does come Tuesday, please say hello. I'll be the one with the aging hippie look, given my ponytail....no, wait, that applies to any number of the typical attendees! :razz:[/quote]

Good thing AES isn't in Michigan! The state is getting their underwear in a bunch over free drinks lately. Some people need to lighten up and have a :sam:.

[quote author="sonicmook56"]bcarso- do you go to AES meetings often? I've always wanted to go but never have.[/quote]

It's kind of spotty for me. I'm not a member, being not much of a "joiner", but they don't mind. I suppose it's a good place to network in these uncertain times.

It's a fairly friendly bunch, not a lot of attitude, although a little more conservative than the Sapphire Society bunch. I've been to the latter a few times, but never enough to be accepted as a member (you have to go three consecutive times I believe).

You don't have to come at 7 for dinner, but can come to the lectures at 8 only. But then you don't get to meet people and break bread.

And although that's not what people are there for, I do have to say there are way too few women, rather like this forum :sad:

Back