CD player in my old Studebaker

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Grab a big tranzorb, 27V, from +12 to ground for that. If you can find one, a SM8A27 by Vishay is a great load-dump absorber. It will do the maximum load dump test of +100V, 400ms time constant, 0.5 ohm impedance.

> Dunno why Walter had odd readings.

Duh! Walter has a '47 chevy.

GM had the "other" system. And since all my GMs had worse problems than gauge issues, I never delved it.

On a Ford, the needle is held up by heat, goes to "E" when power is off.

The GMs mysteriously hold their last reading with the power off.

I think GM uses two coils at 90 degrees, a fixed resistor, and the vari-resistor on the tank float. This gives first-order compensation for battery voltage: a 20% change of voltage does not cause a full tank to read 8/10 or 12/10ths. Apparently at 200% of design voltage, it still gets the E and F end-points about right, but is a bit funky in between.

It is traditional for fuel gauges to linger around F and then go to E fast. If you are near full, you don't care. If you are getting low, how-low is a major concern. Of course this could have just been rationalization for an intrinsically non-linear gizmo.

I have played around with different ways to make the fuel guage more linear, but that's not on the top of the list. Now that I have the windshield wipers on the glass when I go eighty in a rainstorm, I'm ready to focus on the brake system, and stability. I'm going to practice on the '48 chevy 1/2 ton before doing the 1ton. a picture is worth...
Code:
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l44/vogelelectronics/paneltrucks.jpg

Latest posts

Back