1176 Push Button Question

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Echo North

I'm sure this has been discussed...but a couple hours on search and a look through the META hasn't answered my questions.

I'm looking to make my mnats G1176 look as close to the Urei as possible. I would like to use push buttons.

1. Does anyone have a current source for original looking 1176 push buttons? (Item # and Supplier). I couldn't locate them on the ITT Cannon site.

2. Is the only option still "non-locking" pushbuttons?

3. Can I wire "all buttons in/SLAM" mode with "locking" or "non-locking" pushbuttons.

Thanks again,

Mike

Just an update...I found a link to to some switches on NRG's great 1176 parts resource page here:

http://www.nrgrecording.de/html/original_parts.html

The 4bank 2pole 15 G 212 switches are not listed here:

http://www.buerklin.com/gruppene/KapG/G075500.asp?l=e

However, the have a 4bank 4pole "With interactive trigger, without power switch"

0r a 4bank 2pole "With individual latching function and retriggering without power switch"

which of these (if any) would be better for the 1176 build?

Thanks,

Mike

Mike,

I have used the 15G213 from Bürklin, they are interlocking but somewhat smaller than the originals as you can see below:

1176LN-small.jpg

The 15G212 are unfortunately sold out since a couple of years, all the others seem to be quite expensive now, I think I paid ~15.00 € each two years ago!

Andreas

I got 4 sets from Andrew at Purple audio late last year for a real reasonable price. Not sure if he is still offering them, but it never hurts to ask nicely.

Kevin

They have got very expensive. Hard to believe these are so hard to fine.

I've e-mailed Andrew...hoping to hear back.

Has anyone used these:

http://www.altronics.com.au/index.asp?area=item&id=S1510

they are not interlocking...and may be out of stock.

I don't really need them to be interlocking...but I love the look of the pushbuttons.

Thanks again,

Mike

I ordered a bunch of those switches from altronics.com a couple months ago. BTW they were interchangable with the ones that were in the Purple Audio kit. Shipping wasn't cheap but I really wanted pushbuttons. Also they were out of red and black switch caps so I got the Eswitch TAD series caps from Digikey but they are a bit smaller. Maybe you could get just the caps from UA or Purple? I'd like to know if anyone has a source for the correct switch caps if anyone knows of somewhere to get them.
Hope this helps.

I spoke with altronics.com today and they confirmed that they still have push buttons but no caps. Do the e-switch TAD caps fit on the altronics push buttons?

Thanks for the help!

Yes the TAD series caps will fit any switch with a 3mm x 3mm actuator. But they are smaller than the original switch caps.
Lab member 3nity had some gold contact switches in the Black Market (link below) that from the photo looked exactly like the black ones you’ve been on the hunt for except that Digikey charges $4.54 each for them. They have a cheaper silver contact version (part # 401-1223-ND) that are $1.74 each. Now I said they look like the correct ones but it might be worth your while to order some and see, rather than pay shipping from Australia. You could return them to Digikey if they are wrong and you have no use for them.
The correct switch caps should be 14mm by 7mm. The TAD series are only 12mm by 7mm so they leave space between the pushbuttons. Part Numbers are EG1019-ND for red TAD Caps and EG1877-ND for black ones.
Let us know how it turns out.

http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=26892

Thank you again for the info. I'm about to do a big Digikey and Mouser order so I will order some switches and caps that look promising.

I'll update you when the orders arrive.

It would be very cool to find a dependable source for 1176 pushbuttons and caps.

Mike

unfortunately e-switch have discontinued their switches and caps, which used to be easily available through mouser. the itt/cannon aka c&k F series from digikey are the same thing (a bit firmer action) but you can't easily order them as an interlocked bank of 4 switches. the caps are F1501 or FSB-BLK (black 15mm).

purple orders the switches from toneluck. if you can get enough people together, you could make a group order.

ed

[quote author="Echo North"]Thank you again for the info. I'm about to do a big Digikey and Mouser order so I will order some switches and caps that look promising.

I'll update you when the orders arrive.

It would be very cool to find a dependable source for 1176 pushbuttons and caps.

Mike[/quote]

Hey mike,

if you are interested I have a couple sets of these push button setup that I will not be using . I got them from Mnats. I will sell them to you for what i paid for them. I am 30 min north of seattle and could meet you.

z

Thanks Edanderson!

This is exactly the info I have been looking for all morning.

Thanks to Zee1usa my immediate need is resolved, however I'm still searching for long term solution from everyone who loves pushbuttons.

I'm looking at local ITT/Cannon distributers right now.

I also am interested in maybe starting a group order.

Thanks,

Mike

Update on the pushbuttons...

I just got of the phone with UA and I ordered all the parts I needed.

Disclaimer: I realize I got bent over...but I was pretty much willing to pay anything to make the unit authentic.

They sell both banks (ratio and meter) as separate part numbers. Each bank assembly is $40.

Interesting note...if you just want to buy caps you can get caps for $0.30 each.

I also purchased the large knobs ($9) and small knobs ($7).

If nothing else these UA banks should be a great help in finding out how to reproduce these switch banks for a more affordable price.

Although if you want the "look" I think the best option might be ordering the ITT (C&K)F series switches mentioned above(from Digikey)...then ordering the caps from UA since I can't find the ITT (C&K)F1501 caps anywhere.

I'm doing a digikey order soon and I'll order a few F series switches to see if the UA caps fit on them.

Thanks!

Mike

Thanks Mike!
Only $0.30 for the caps! I figured charging $7 and $9 for knobs that they'd be much more expensive than that.
I look forward to hearing the outcome of the C&K F series switches and UA caps.
Thanks for gathering all the info!
Jon

Ya I ordered like 16 extra caps because they were a good price.

I'm interested to see what these assemblies look like. Maybe they'll even be mounted on PCB's...but I doubt it.

I'll keep you posted.

My UA order arrived today and the push button banks do indeed have boards attached to them!

2399906208_6f8cea61bd.jpg

2399906268_bc1ea72c4d.jpg

Now to figure out if I can make the boards work with my Mnats main board. I'll compare his push button pcbs to these and see what the differences are. Any one have some advice?

The end caps *look* like they are 5mm squares so the may be to big for the 3mm F switches. They are coming friday so I'll see if they can work.

I'll keep you posted!

Mike

Mnat used to sell a PCB for Fu22 type switches. Problem was finding correct style caps to make it work (5mm).

Looks like UA is the awnser, but it would work best if Mnat, or whoever is selling the PCB to provide the caps with it. and you get your own Fu2ee's

Now I said all that to ask if I could get 8 caps off you if you got some to spare....

Yeah, he has the board layout on his site. I'm good with etching my own boards so I could make the board if I need to.

I think you're right this could be the way to go.

Although these UA PCB's look (I've just done a quick overview) the same as Mnats boards...so I'll try to mount these as is.

At least it looks like people looking for pushbutton switches have some options. I'm getting some Fu22's on friday...let me see if these caps work...if they do I'll send you some. Although either way I bet you could make them work (adhesive).

Mike

[quote author="kazper"] but it would work best if Mnat, or whoever is selling the PCB to provide the caps with it.[/quote]
I'm not currently supplying the pushbutton PCBs and haven't supplied switches or caps for them for years after my local supplier failed to meet delivery deadlines, so I'm not inclined to agree that it would work best for me to supply them. The only reason I did a run of the pushbutton PCBs after the switches with caps dried up was due to demand; it seems as though the caps are a problem everywhere now - not just here - so I don't see myself doing another batch anytime soon.
[quote author="Echo North"]Now to figure out if I can make the boards work with my Mnats main board... Any one have some advice? [/quote]
Yes, have a look at the schematic. From the picture you posted it looks as though UA put the voltage divider on a PCB just like I did (though my PCB was originally made only to support the non-interlocked pushbuttons). It shouldn't be a problem to match up the ratio circuit with the main PCB. The meter and power switch are dead easy - just follow the schemo...

Back