What song is this?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mickey76

I was tidying up my dvd recorders hard drive and suddenly found myself watching that history channel documentary 'hippies' again. There's a bit of music I don't know and was hoping someone here could help me out!

Watch out for the horrible audio quality... recorded it with my cell phone off the tv speaker :green:

http://www.crash-record.be/diy/hippies.wav

yeah... that's probably why I like it :grin:
I was thinking floyd, greatfull dead or even jefferson airplane... but I have most of their albums and I'm sure I've never heared this song before...

It sounds like some canned "doc-rock" that has extra reverb/grit added. Any Floyd or Starship recordings from that era would be faster and grittier. I highly doubt it is anything from the period of "acid rock". [/british accent]
Mike
PS: If you like, might I suggest David Lynch's "Wild at Heart", or any episode of "Twin Peaks". Or some Tielman Brothers, perhaps?

yeah... there's even a synthy choir of some sort in the background somewhere... and I'm pretty sure it's not a mellotron :wink:

I like the Lynch movies but Tielman brothers doesn't ring a bell... I'll have to look into that :grin:

It may not be anything from the era. I've noticed more and more History Channel (and other) productions that include "original" music beds that are formulaicly produced to closely resemble a well-known song or band. A lot easier, and presumably cheaper, than clearing the rights for the originals.

I've never seen that episode, but I imagine the music of the time was part of the story. It would be sadly ironic not to use the originals, but I wouldn't doubt it just the same.

It does sound like Floyd, but none I've ever heard. It feels slightly anachronistic, but I can't identify why--that's why I suspect it's "none of the above."

Okay, I'd like to just say to everyone that there's some bad acid rock going 'round... so like, if you're offered any acid rock, well... y'know, just be advised that there's some bad stuff goin' 'round...

...okay, thank you.

Y'know, the name of the genre "Acid Rock" makes sense. So what's with the genre known as "Acid Jazz?" What does it have to do with acid anyway?

The only reason I ask is that I just had a tune by The Brand New Heavies and another by Incognito come up consecutively on Pandora.com. Both are classified as "Acid Jazz". I'd expect to hear this in my dentist's office long before I'd ever hear anything from Piper at the Gates of Dawn. Maybe it should be "Novocaine Jazz" instead. :grin:

Sorry, I'm done channeling Andy Rooney now. :wink:

andy.jpg

[quote author="mickey76"][quote author="JohnRoberts"]:cool: fake acid rock... as if there wasn't enough real acid rock that bad...

JR[/quote]

check the list at the bottom of the wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acid_rock

they seem to have a pretty braod definition of the term acid rock...[/quote]

I don't think they have a broad definition of acid rock, I think they took some acid then made a list.. :cool:

Quite a few song on that list fit, and make me smile :grin: (no not a flashback).

Some seem like odd choices, and some I don't even recognize (by name).

That list makes me want to dig through some old albums..

JR

PS: I nominate 21st century skitzoid man, and more than a few others for a good acid list...

Latest posts

Back