Expensive Hi Fi cables - adjudication

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[quote author="BYacey"]... enabling any noise currents to locate earth ground easily without getting lost.[/quote]

That's why the directional cables have arrows too - so the electrons know which way to go!

While indeed the earth is a very massive object capable of producing a lot of gravity, we should all realize that every object of any size exhibits gravitational pull, and as such, should not be discounted. I've found that the gravitational fields produced by my CRT monitors effect the way the electrons flow in my stratocaster pickups. The gravity from my 20lb monitor seems to be enough to pull the moving electrons from their normal laminar flow streams, thereby creating turbulence. The result is that they bump into each other more, creating a lot of noise, which seems to manifest itself mostly at multiples of 60hz.

Unfortunately, the centripetal forces acting on the electrons rotating around the bobbins are usually not enough to overcome the induced turbulence. However, I do find that turning to the left away from the monitor while playing will sometimes puts me over the threshold by adding just that little extra centripetal force. Note: Our Aussies and South African members should turn to the right, due to the Coriolis effect. They may also wish to rewind their pickups in the reverse direction to the US standard (with 99.9999% OFC of course).

[quote author="craigmorris74"]All of my SPDIF cables have arrows. Never tried them "backward".[/quote]

Lest we forget fibre optics - trying to force photons the wrong way on a light pipe can cause a rift in the space-time continuum. I believe that's what killed the dinosaurs.

[quote author="bcarso"]This must mean that studios that are in free-fall (as are so many these days) sound best.[/quote]

Gives a whole new meaning to "let's take it from the top again"....

51gKQGLds8L._SS500_.jpg

Seriously, If a conductor exhibits any kind of directionality, you have a rectifier; and the cable should be rejected for any audio purposes. I have a difficult time believing that it would sound better installed one way and not the other; after all, audio is alternating current with current moving in both directions in the conductor.

Latest posts

Back