Transistor cross reference database - mysteriously offline

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxwall

Here is the link : now type in a part #.......

http://www.ee.washington.edu/circuit_archive/parts/cross.html

If anyone knows of another cross reference database for transistors please post one. This was my main database until now.

Is the whole of the USA imploding
petrol prices, stock market plunge ,de-valued dollar,contaminated food , housing market fallout, loser politicians running for presidency, stagflation , price gouging, mass corruption, same sex marriages, everything "made in China" and now transistor cross reference ...whats next ?
:evil:

I hope this is temporary problem, maybe the server is under maintenance or the database is being transferred to another server.to good of a resource to loose. strange that no indication of service interruption was left on the web page informing frequented visitors not to panic.

Here's a link to the webmaster's email address in case anyone else would like to express their need to have this great resource put back online as before.

http://www.ee.washington.edu/contact_form.html?

http://www.ee.washington.edu/circuit_archive/

"These materials are provided as-is, with no support. They are not being maintained. At present they are being kept available because we're aware people still refer to them - but we reserve the right to remove this archive, without notice, at any time."

I suspect it is a mistake. The main server admin cleaned-out the cgi-bin folder of obsolete cruft, and this got caught in the net needlessly. If they meant to deliberately kill it, they wudda taken the top page down.

Hmmmmm... looks like Jerry Russell has left the building. That's the problem with smart students and part-time instructors.... they leave.

Work up the URL until you find general department staff, guess who knows who runs the server, and pitch a beg for restoring enuff of Jerry Russell's files to get the cgi working again.

Unfortunately NTE = high priced parts and dead end part numbers that don't cross reference to any other part number on the planet.

Sometimes NTE is not the right part even though it crosses into their database.

besides they stamp their parts with thier own part # and erase the one that was their originally - how nice of them.

[quote author="PRR"]obsolete cruft...[/quote]
Wow. -That's a new word to me... and difficult for me to assimilate, because it makes me mentally picture a scene which is probably easiest to describe to most Americans as being almost identical to the Westminster Dog Show...

-It'll take a while to burn-in, that word.

Keith

Can't help you with an online database. However, you can get a copy of Tower's International transistor Selector through Amazon for about $40.00. It covers almost any transistor you might come across.

Dave Hecht

[quote author="SSLtech"][quote author="PRR"]obsolete cruft...[/quote]
Wow. -That's a new word to me... and difficult for me to assimilate, because it makes me mentally picture a scene which is probably easiest to describe to most Americans as being almost identical to the Westminster Dog Show...

-It'll take a while to burn-in, that word.

Keith[/quote]

From The Jargon File a fun collection of words to browse to learn the language of computer culture:

cruft /kruhft/

[back-formation from crufty] 1. /n./ An unpleasant substance. The dust that gathers under your bed is cruft; the TMRC Dictionary correctly noted that attacking it with a broom only produces more. 2. /n./ The results of shoddy construction. 3. /vt./ [from `hand cruft', pun on `hand craft'] To write assembler code for something normally (and better) done by a compiler (see hand-hacking). 4. /n./ Excess; superfluous junk; used esp. of redundant or superseded code. 5. [University of Wisconsin] /n./ Cruft is to hackers as gaggle is to geese; that is, at UW one properly says "a cruft of hackers".

cruft together /vt./

(also `cruft up') To throw together something ugly but temporarily workable. Like /vt./ kluge up, but more pejorative. "There isn't any program now to reverse all the lines of a file, but I can probably cruft one together in about 10 minutes." See hack together, hack up, kluge up, crufty.

cruftsmanship /kruhfts'm*n-ship / /n./

[from cruft] The antithesis of craftsmanship.

crufty /kruhf'tee/ /adj./

[origin unknown; poss. from `crusty' or `cruddy'] 1. Poorly built, possibly over-complex. The canonical example is "This is standard old crufty DEC software". In fact, one fanciful theory of the origin of `crufty' holds that was originally a mutation of `crusty' applied to DEC software so old that the `s' characters were tall and skinny, looking more like `f' characters. 2. Unpleasant, especially to the touch, often with encrusted junk. Like spilled coffee smeared with peanut butter and catsup. 3. Generally unpleasant. 4. (sometimes spelled `cruftie') /n./ A small crufty object (see frob); often one that doesn't fit well into the scheme of things. "A LISP property list is a good place to store crufties (or, collectively, random cruft)."

This term is one of the oldest in the jargon and no one is sure of its etymology, but it is suggestive that there is a Cruft Hall at Harvard University which is part of the old physics building; it's said to have been the physics department's radar lab during WWII. To this day (early 1993) the windows appear to be full of random techno-junk. MIT or Lincoln Labs people may well have coined the term as a knock on the competition.

Back