Quick buss compressor shootout ....

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MartyMart

... just for a "what if ? " moment and my own listening pleasure I decided to run my new
GSSL and recently acquired Cloud CX335 comp/limiter, which retails for around £400 but
cost me just £40 - up against each other.

To get the same signal into both units I put some mixes and well known tracks on to CD
and used a Behringer Ultralink pro 8 channel splitter/mixer (a useful and good sounding box )
to change unbalanced CD to balanced outputs. ( it just has level/pan and routing controls )

Sent some test tones in to make sure the L&R of the CD input were accurate , the stepped gain
pots were out a wee bit ! and setup both units as close as possible for ratio/attack/release and
output gain.
That was a little fiddly as the Cloud has a normal/slow setting and hard/soft knee rather than
dedicated controls - got quite close though.
The level and panning were spot on and with both outputs playing, they pretty much cancelled each
other out, just some wierd "wobbly pumping" at very low level was left.

Listening to tracks/commercial songs :
Standard GSSL =

What I like about the GSSL, is when engaged you get that SSL "Glued together" sound right
away, I also hear a bit of a bigger stereo picture and a slight high end lift too.
( just me or anyone else notice this ? )
Wonderful stuff, tracks that are masters anyway, just sounded better put through it :)
I don't like it when it's pushed hard, perhaps a side chain filter to stop the low end from
hitting it would be a good addition.

Cloud CX335 =

Surprisingly close to the GSSL !!
Glued stuff just as well, didn't have the stereo width and had no high end sheen to it, not dull
but you got out exactly what went in.
It's beautifully built inside, good parts - That 2150's / 5532's MKT caps and metal film resistors etc.
I shouldn't have been surprised, but it's not many miles from the GSSL quality at all.
It seemed a bit smoother when pushed hard too ( has a peak limiter but this was switched out )
It's "split band" so much less bass pumping going on.
It did the subtle "couple of Db" reduction very well indeed ...... bit of a "sleeper" I'd say.

So cheap doesn't have to mean "cheap sounding" right ??
( I watched another one go for £45 the other day, so look out for 'em )

Marty.

Thanks Wayne, just checking that my ears are still "good" !!
I'll have a listen to the clips, can't wait to finish the Pico rack and have that
set up also :)
( just spraying up the used rack which is a bit of a botch for now )

Though I like the result with the GSSL, I prefer to "hear" dual mono, if you
like - L&R retain their independent "dynamics" and are separately squashed.
Side-chain filter will be a big help I think.

Initial listening to the Pico was VERY nice indeed !

MM.

Well, I hear from Rochey that the 'Turbo' PCBs are in. -I'll be building one up immediately upon receiving it, and testing it out.

I think that I like the name "Turbo", because it's a fairly simple bolt-on performance enhancement... and it's a nice easy-to-remember name.

Pictures and -more importantly- VIDEO of the tested, complete unit will be up on the Expat Audio site for all to see.. and should hopefully dempnstrate the differences in a fairly compelling manner.

Keith

Latest posts

Back