Anyone got a reason why I shouldn't cancel my MU membership?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thermionic

Hi,

I've been a member of the MU for well over a decade. I'm not a player, but as a 'producer' and engineer, I felt it made sense to join.

In all the time I've been a member, I can't think of one benefit I've received... The legal help you get is only useful for really small things, i.e. gigs at small venues, small record deals. If you're ever in danger of doing something that'll pay your rent, you'll need a dedicated lawyer or publisher.

The MU has started numerous campaigns over the years relating to live music, but WTF have they ever done for the 'studio animal'? I can't recall any initiatives to address piracy / IP theft, and I wonder if they have an inherent prejudice against those who're studio-based, and aren't too bothered about the demise of studios / file-sharing / general dumbing-down in the industry etc?

I really can't see any point to my membership... I must have spent a considerable sum on my subs over the years, but what have I to show for it?

If you play a French horn, drink Real Ale and spend your weekends performing medleys of obscure skiffle composers, I guess the MU's right up your street, but what have they ever done for the studio-based people?

I sent them an email regarding the US Scout Movement's Intellectual Property badge, suggesting that such a scheme should be instigated here. I got a polite email saying it was a good idea, but where did it get mentioned in the newsletter?

The only positive thing I can think of is the Benevolent Fund. Having said that though, with millions of members, how come the fund awards such small sums to the people who need it? Where does all the other cash go?

Forgive my cynicism - maybe I need educating as to what the MU does that's positive?

Justin

[quote author="Justin"]Anyone got a reason why I shouldn't cancel my MU membership? [/quote]

[deafening silence] ..................... [/deafening silence]

[quote author="thermionic"]Where does all the other cash go?

[/quote]

In the states they buy a LOT of these:
1381081028_8fa93dfb86_o.jpg

because more and more businesses are going FU! to unions.

Even the french horn players in the US are taking it in the frame. Why score in the US and pay union musicians points on a movie soundtrack when you can go to Canada, or the UK and avoid union contracts?
Mike

pin and drop spring to mind ...

one of the forums i visit had a fall out about pay to play, the kids were struggling to see why it was wrong, i knew the MU was against it so thought i would bob over to their webshite, not a mention!! so i emithered the local rep.

her reply was that if i wanted to know i should join, i started to put my wallet away ....

then a couple of days later i got another emither from her about a contract that was about to go through (i could see instantly it wasn't for me so read no further) and so like a good boy i wrote telling her of the miss direction and that i would keep it on my system until she had contacted the relevant party and sent me confirmation that all was well as i didn't want the information lost in the either.

her reply was that i was wrong to open and emails from her as she would have no reason to write me, so i reached across, grabbed the sample contract that i had drawn up for the Label and crossed out the clause stating all artists will become and remain members of the MU while contracted to Padded Cell Records Limited.

spend your subs down the pub, they will be received with thanks

The only thing the MU did for me was take my money and tell me where I couldn't play. All cost and no benefit!

Screen door on a submarine territory to me.

Peace - Irv

It used to be the case that you could get into jazz clubs in London cheap if you had an MU card, e.g. until 3 or so years ago it cost only £5 to get into Ronnie Scott's with an MU membership card, but now as there's no discount it's closer to £36. I think there were a couple of other places where you could get a half price entry on the door too. It's still possible to get into the 606 Club in Chealsea for free with an MU card so I guess if you go down there often enough it makes financial sense.

Bit useless otherwise, though; the guy who gives legal advice is a nice enough chap but not the brightest button in the drawer and I don't think he's actually a qualified lawyer.

Wish they'd pull their weight a bit more. I think they could have campaigned much harder against these ridiculous new licensing laws, for example. I didn't follow the campaign that closely when it was going on but friends who did tell me that the MU gave in at the first opportunity and actually supported the bill in the end, despite the fact that the government didn't really pay much attention to what the MU had to say. Pretty useless union, I'd say, but then which union does have much power these days?

Ronnie Scott would be rolling in his grave if he knew what that b***h has done to his club. Not only has the MU scheme been scrapped, but you only get to sit one performance, then you get kicked out!

I've always had a dire opinion of the commercial classical / opera scene (it's even more shallow than teeny-bopper pop IMO), and this cow who's taken over Ronnie's has done nothing to alter my opinion.

I think I'm just going to cancel my direct-debit - I wonder if the MU will call me to ask why?

Justin

edit - took me 2 minutes on the telephone - debit cancelled...

When I was a young lad I was gigging all the time in clubs and dutifully paying my MU dues. One day a club owner in northern Quebec stiffed the band....chased us out with a shotgun and paid us nothing.
The next week we were playing another club and the union rep came out to collect the dues. When I told him about what happened his reply was "somebody should do something about that"!
I quit the union the next day :evil:
Freddy

[quote author="KingKai"]The only thing the MU did for me was take my money and tell me where I couldn't play. All cost and no benefit!

Screen door on a submarine territory to me.

Peace - Irv[/quote]

Wildly off topic, but the mention of submarine brought this story to mind:

http://www.truthdig.com/report/item/20080401_a_submarine_to_fight_al_qaidas_navy/

[quote author="bcarso"]
Wildly off topic, but the mention of submarine brought this story to mind:

http://www.truthdig.com/report/item/20080401_a_submarine_to_fight_al_qaidas_navy/[/quote]

*Sigh*

Peace - Irv

Latest posts

Back