Another simple method for panel design

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flintan

Just read the Safmat vs Waterslide decal thread and thought i'd share another technique that is so simple you don't even think of it... I ended up with this after trying the flat-iron transfer of a lazerprint with no luck.

What i did was to just take one of the lazerprints that by mistake was printed non-mirrored, cut it to size and contact-glue it on the alu. panel. Then some layers of semi-matte transparent lacquer.

This was the result:
trem_ny_1.JPG

The box is made of 26 mm massive Walnut tree (correct name of the wood?).

I was relly surprised of the result. Will try this on a bigger front panel soon.

The panel is just plain 1,5 mm aluminium. Cut to size with a nibbler, drilled and some work with a file on the edges.

Ya, I've got several N*ve units I'm currently finishing that have all the front panels simply made out of clear decals with clear coat over them. I find this looks amazing and it is relatively cheap to do. I just get FPE to make me the panels with the holes and things and just put the rest on myself. Looks great!

Sig

no, no no no no no no...NO!!!

YOu don't glue transparancies on with the Super-77 method, you spray the panel with Super-77 glue, then just rub-down a reversed laser-print.

Ironing won't work on metal because it is like a giant heat-sink....

...that's why I came up with the Super 77 method.

Keith

[quote author="SSLtech"]no, no no no no no no...NO!!!

YOu don't glue transparancies on with the Super-77 method, you spray the panel with Super-77 glue, then just rub-down a reversed laser-print.

Keith[/quote]

.....i short explained....Mr.

[quote author="SSLtech"]no, no no no no no no...NO!!!

Keith[/quote]

Laser printed on what? Transparency? Photopaper?

sounds interesting...

Won't the panel become tacky as the Super77 dries?

[quote author="lofi"]how many time did you try to iron first though? :wink:[/quote]

Quite some.. And i had to grind it all off with wet sandpaper between every try... Wasn't much left of the front at the end. :oops:

But I think it could work with 1,5 mm alu or thinner, have acctually seen about some people that made it. I also pre-warmed the front on the stove (correct word for this?)... but then it got too hot and paper burnt.

[quote author="Rochey"]Siegried,

any chance of seeing some pics?[/quote]

Can't really show any of them here as most here wouldn't appreciate it - they are just for my personal use. I've done some *SL ones, 11*76 ones and these N*eve ones are coming up next.

Sig

[quote author="owel"][quote author="SSLtech"]no, no no no no no no...NO!!!

Keith[/quote]

Laser printed on what? Transparency? Photopaper?

sounds interesting...

Won't the panel become tacky as the Super77 dries?[/quote]

Laser printed on something like magazine paper. The whole idea is that the toner sticks to the super 77 when you peel away the paper.

Let's recap, print your graphics in reverse on something glossy like magazine pages, spray the panel with super 77, apply your graphics to the panel, rub so that the toner on the paper sticks to the super 77, remove the paper and you should be left with your graphics stuck on the panel, clear coat and you're done.

Hey Keith, youre a genious! :thumb:

Cant wait to try this. Only problem is i've never seen or heard of this Super-77 spray adhesive. I've only seen this lumpish messy yellow spray glue here in Sweden. This Super-77 must be a lighter type with better transparency..?

Guess I'll have to ask my architect brother..and check if here is some hobby store that has it...

Also why doesn't the paper stick to the front as well? And do you wet the paper before peeling it off?

[quote author="flintan"]
Also why doesn't the paper stick to the front as well? And do you wet the paper before peeling it off?[/quote]

I answer myself. Since i'm not native english speaking i didn't know what 'backing paper' was.. Now i found it's the waxy paper behind stickers, and then it makes much more sense.

Back