Ukuleles rock!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnalogPackrat

So my poor, suffering wife is in Hawaii (Oahu) on business for ten days--the horror. She travels a lot and has helped me obtain some interesting instruments over the years (didgeridoos, ocarina, reed flute, drums, etc.). She called yesterday after she stumbled into a Ukulele shop near her hotel and wondered if I wanted one.

Knowing little about them I got to doing some "research" and ran across some wacky stuff on YouTube that I thought some of you chaps might fancy:

These nutty Scots have got some great videos up:

GUGUG

And this fellow is another outlier in the gene pool:

maxevancejpn

Anywho, do any of you folks have any input on a first uke purchase? I'm thinking $350 or less...

Cheers,
A P

Seems like a good place for you US guys:

http://www.ukes.com

I was told Bushman were pretty good for the money.

I want to get one soon too.
-T

I did check out that place, Tom. They carry some of the brands as the shop my wife found. The idea was that she'd get it in Hawaii while she's there (my birthday is fast approaching, so the stars are aligned). Wish I could try some out before buying...

Sorry didn't read properly, if she's in Hawaii maybe she can find a player in a shop and get one to try out in front of her... players tend to be pretty honest compared to shop assistants! I'm forever doing that in my local guitar shop when I'm in.

There are some really nice looking ukes for $350... koa etc.

Good luck.
T

:grin: Great story, Freddy! And that is a really cool Explorelele you made. :shock:

Wife called from shop last night and several ukes were demoed for me. She then sent a few photos last night. What a woman!

A P

[quote author="AnalogPackrat"]What a woman![/quote]

Seriously dude, you scored!

I was visiting my parents last night and noodled with a uke my dad built, and a banjo-lele he was given. :cool:

[quote author="CJ"]your gay.[/quote]

I'll be sure to tell my wife you said so...

So far the goodies she's found within walking distance of her hotel are nice, hand crafted, REAL ukes but all are about double what I wanted to spend. Decisions, decisions...

Pucho and Voodoo: that is a great version of "While my guitar gently weeps"--George would be happy seeing that, I would think.

Tom: Unfortunately those under $500 ukes are mostly made in China or other non-Hawaiian locales...

A P

AP,
i'm surprised you didn't ask me. :wink: i'm from the land of ukes and the person playing 'as my guitar gently weeps' is actually a very close friend of my cousin. i could have asked my cousin to meet your wife and tell her which uke would have been the best place to buy one and which brand/model in your price range.

jake and my cousin go to the same luthier (which is the kamaka family i believe), but those cost big bucks (as they are custom made and they look like mini taylor guitars), but kamaka also makes resonably priced models - even the really cheap ones are well made.

jake is a friggin' musical genius IMHO. his knowledge of music theory (jazz, classical, flamenco, etc) is outstanding, but you don't see that much on his CDs because he's so expressive. besides that he's a really nice guy i hear (though i've never met him yet since i haven't been back to the islands much and the last time i was there i think he was touring). i think jake was opening on bela fleck's last tour.
we can catch him next time he's in the bay area (which is at least once a year). my cousin keeps telling me to go to the show or meet up with him at his clinics.
-grant

Whoops! Well, after much waffling about I decided not to get one this time around. We will probably end up going to Hawaii together sometime in the next couple of years anyway. Two things held me back...one, I don't like buying an instrument I haven't actually played, and two, I wasn't even sure if it was something I was going to like enough (or even have enough time to play) to justify getting a good one.

I will talk to Mr. Grant before heading out there next time! It would be nice to have an expert around during the selection process if it comes to that.

A P

Man, I wish I had seen this before she left!

While there are some nice ukes by the hotels, they're all over-priced because that's where the tourists go!

I don't know exactly what Uke shops are the best out here (i'm a drummer), but I know I could find out

Pucho, Jake is an AWESOME uke player! Super nice guy as well. He took my rock band's CD up and spread them all over the Fuji Music Festival in Japan not too long ago. Super talented and very humble person.

Cj , he's not gay , his boyfriend is

but i second the " what a woman " must feel
guilty about all those trips or just plain love you
cause you're a good guy !

there are a lot of cheapie starter ones though ,
and then , different sizes like tenor & such no ?

Latest posts

Back