My electric burr coffee grinder cut out on me today

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[quote author="zebra50"]I'd like to see a mandatory 5 or even 10 year guarantee on everything. It would overhaul our disposable society.

Make sure you clean the filters on the Dyson. They have a reputation...

I like Henrys. We have them at home, studio and workshop. You see them in chemistry labs and building sites, you can suck up broken bricks and they don't break.

OK![/quote]

My Swiss burr grinder is very high quality and had a 5 year guarantee, but stuff happens. It broke after 2-3 years and it was easier for me to get it repaired locally than send it to the Alps.

The more useful model is to design products that can be easily recycled.

Most consumer products don't have a desirable life of ten years even if they didn't break.

JR

[quote author="JohnRoberts"]I got my hand crank burr grinder repaired and back in service. Instead of sending it to Switzerland I had my local machine shop fix-it guy, work on it. I couldn't get it apart without stripping out the screws and I think he was little embarrassed by how hard it was to get apart since he took a couple weeks and didn't charge me to fix it. I roasted him up a fresh batch of coffee beans as payment.
JR

Life is too short to drink inferior

[/quote]

Got one of those ProBat sample roasters? Gotta get me one of those.

[quote author="mushy"][quote author="JohnRoberts"]
JR

Life is too short to drink inferior

[/quote]

Got one of those ProBat sample roasters? Gotta get me one of those.[/quote]

I wish...

I have a Hottop and it is the right size for me.. 1/2# of coffee is 5 days worth, and I can taste the difference between day 1 and day 5.

Small home roasters are a ripe category for DIY. A lot of effort has gone into fancy temp profiles and precise timers, but in my experience every bean is different so I'd still have to manually program each new bean. I use a timer so I don't waste the first 20 min, and manually end the roast around second crack.

I suspect I could devise an adequate microphone sensor to ID first and second crack, I am not so confident that it would work on the decaf beans since some have rather weak cracks with first and second seemingly mixed. Often I end roast based on smell.

I'd like to learn more about a smart smoke sniffer that can discern information from the change in smell as the roast progresses. More than just a smoke detector but looking for specific chemistry changes in the smoke.

Wishful thinking for now... I usually stop thinking about this the instant I press the end roast button and get back to real work.

JR

Here's an article by a guy that does his roasting with a mesh strainer, a metal bowl, and a heat gun, one pound at a time:

http://www.ineedcoffee.com/04/heatgun/

I would like to give that a shot this summer.

Simple way to get started is one of those tin popcorn poppers that sit on a barbecue grille. Using a hot air gun and a strainer is a little like a fluid bed roaster but will make a mess if the chaff isn't trapped, and will generate plenty of smoke so I wouldn't try it indoors.

Lots of people get started messing with old hot air popcorn poppers with a variac to vary heat (but still a smoky mess).

I must warn you, once you taste how good fresh roasted coffee can be, it's hard to drink the stuff sold in stores.

JR

You can also do it with a hot air popcorn maker. Do it outside though because it shoots debris all over the place. One of my mentors in this business had a roasting biz on the side. He was one of the greatest engineers, guitar players and coffee producers I've ever had the pleasure of sharing the studio with. He "fixed" my coffee tastes. I know what you mean about tasting the difference between day one and five. Fresh coffee makes such a mess but damn is it good.

Back