I've been considering something quite crazy

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Consul

I've mentioned this on this board before, about a dream (a dream as in one you have when you're asleep) I had once.

I've been slowly working my way toward getting myself back into some kind of shape other than round in recent times.I've always been an avid walker, and I've been trying to get back into the habit of that. I should also consider finally reassembling that bicycle in the garage, but that's another story.

Anyway, if all goes to plan, I'll have a job for this summer, then do Fall '08 and Winter '09 here in Port Huron, before starting my final two years at Oakland University in Fall of '09. This leaves my plans for the summer of '09 wide open at the moment.

I want to spend it walking across the country.

I'll be starting from my home here in Port Huron. I haven't decided where I would like to end up yet. That'll depend on whether I can plan intelligent stops for food and shelter along the way. My first back-of-the-envelope calculation was to aim for Seattle, probably the most optimistic walkabout I could take, and then fly back. Assuming 14 hours a day at an average of 2 miles per hour, that works out to 89 days of walking, according to Google Maps (with "avoid highways" switched on). Again, this assumes intelligent stops at regular intervals can be found, and that I can find non-Interstate river crossings.

One other option might be to do a Northeastern Loop, through New York and Maine, and end up back here. That way, I wouldn't have to fly back. I haven't looked up and calculated that idea yet.

I'm not going to ask you all if I'm off my rocker, because I already know the answer. But between listening to Will Self, and my own desire to see my country, I can't help but want to try.

Comfortable shoes would be a requirement.

[quote author="Consul"]...reassembling that bicycle in the garage, but that's another story.

[/quote]

Somehow references to disassembled bicycles feels right on this forum.

Good luck on the walk if you decide to take it! It sounds fun.

hmm, walking because your bicycle DIY doesn't ever seem to get finished; sounds familiar. :green:

seriously, sounds like a great idea. not easy to find the time for such things, so you gotta do it when you can. may never happen again. :thumb:

I was varying degrees of rotund for a while. When I decided to make a concerted effort to reduce I did find regular walks helpful, although not sufficient. For me, finding the right level of reduction in simple carbs, sugars, and alcohol was very important. It helped to stop eating out all the time and cooking instead. Saves a lot of money too.

When I started the walking regimen I rapidly came to realize that anything that can rub and chafe will. Anything. So I would counsel plenty of training before the big jaunt, to discover what may be the problems. Shoes are obviously critical, and don't underestimate the break-in time, but details of clothing are too.

Sadly, I curtailed my walks after getting mugged late one night in '06. It was that or do it early in the morning, and that didn't appeal. But by then I had shed the weight and adjusted the diet, and get exercise from using indoor equipment.

I have done in the past, and am starting again to do, a lot of walking, so I know all about chafing and scraping. :wink: Actually, my biggest issue, because my inner thighs tend to rub together, has always been wearing holes in the inside thigh of my jeans or other trousers. They always wear quite high and thus reveal more than I would ever like to in public. I'm sure that's more than anybody here wanted to know.

One of the profs at my current college is an avid European backpacker, so I'm sure he'll have loads of tips and advice for every problem I might encounter.

> something quite crazy

Random Walk, Lawrence Block

ISBNs - 1583483810 hard, 0812515803 softcover; www.abe.com has the paperback under $10.

Not one of Larry's tightly scripted tales, rather unique. "Guthrie Wagner, a bartender in Roseburg, Ore., hears a voice urging him to take a walk. The idea is so appealing that he quits his job, sells his car, and begins a trek toward the East though he has no specific destination. . . . . . . , the book contains no surprises. One wishes the author had channeled his positive energy elsewhere." IMHO: worth reading anyway. (And I bet, at this point in Larry's life, this is the only book he should/could have written.)

> Assuming 14 hours a day at an average of 2 miles per hour

That's a LOT of walking. 2MPH is slow, but even with breaks 14 hours a day on the road is a long time.

And unless you are already there, you won't walk 28 miles a day for the first week. When I was young, I could do one 27 mile day, but 15/day is more sane day after day until you prove you have the aptitude and the shoes to really make miles.

I've been across the US in a mail-truck with 100 mile tank. There are places even in the midwest where you have to look ahead. Some places with gas don't have motels.

I've bedded-down in the weeds. And had the local cops come look me over. Decades ago, a clean demeanor would get you through. Today they may drag you in on general principle.

Have you slept through 4" rainstorms? You must have those at Huron... do you have 95 deg and 95% humidity at midnight? Every time I went through Indianapolis in July they arranged such brutality for me. And I recall an August in Oklahoma and the Ozark which was worse. The mail-truck was white and it made some sense to go comatose in the afternoon, do most driving after dark until late morning. But midnight walking is dangerous and suspicious. And as mentioned, if the cops don't find you, local toughs may. My brother has a story about a midnight redneck confrontation in Maryland, and I thought Maryland was a nice place. Most places are most of the time, but walking pace transects a lot of improbability.

It would make more sense to walk around your home state. Go out for a week and back. Then a month and back. Walking is walking, roads are pedestrian unfriendly all over, and Michigan may be less unfriendly than some. Also you are not "out of state" which always raises cops' eyebrows.

Don't forget there are trains and busses still. If you want to "see the country", you see it real good on Amtrak's tired slow tracks (though you also see the back-side of the bad side of every city you pass through). Greyhound still runs, and maybe you should catch it just to tell your grandkids about the early 21st century's quaint transportation. I think both outfits have flat-rate month passes.

As Brad says: if you are heavy, but not just lazy, extended walking will not make you slim. Fat will morph toward muscle, but your appetite will justifiably rise. Your total body mass will tend to stay the same, though you will be much healthier for it.

Okay, so what are the downsides? :razz:

Yeah, I realize now that my 28 miles a day is pretty optimistic. I've actually been doing more research and calculation since then. Of course, I've also been thinking about how to carry enough food, water, and how to replenish supplies as well as get the occasional shower.

Is it possible? I'm sure it is. Would it be fun? No, it would be miserable, but for some reason, I'd rather face misery doing something very few ever attempt than to do something anyone else can and has.

At this point, it's all speculation anyway. I'll need to spend the next year+ getting myself into good enough condition to make the attempt. Even if I don't make the attempt, having the goal will force me to improve my life and my health.

Sorry, I don't mean to downplay your input, and every point you raise is valid. It's just that I have more overriding reasons for wanting to do this than just to pull a stunt. In fact, I don't want to write any book, article, or blog on it at all.

> I have more overriding reasons

Roz Savage has rowed across the Atlantic, and is ballasting a boat to row across the Pacific.

Walking across the US is fairly common. Of course many of our ancestors did it. People do it to call attention to their Cause. And some people just do it.

It is nice to have "support". A motorhome following you to deflect traffic and have a place to crash. Or all your possessions in an ox-cart. But AFAICT Roz goes it alone way out where she can't even get arrested to get a dry bed and one phone call.

You know it is crazy. Nothing wrong with that. If hard-nosed argument won't deter you, then it is what you are going to do.

Aside from shoes: socks!!!

Well, in a way, I do have a support network: all of the people I've met on message boards like this one, several of whom have already said I can stop by their homes on my journey. It's the ultimate couch-surfing trip. Of course, where they are determines where I go, but I'm okay with that, as long as it's somewhere I've not yet been.

But like I already said, it's not the destination, it's the journey. My physical and my mental health will be the better for having the goal, even if I never set out on the real adventure.

Good socks! and some Compeed plasters! These things are like a new layer of skin, they ain't cheap but if you have to stay on your feet they can't be argued with.

big_1196516099_slide_1194026535_CompeedBlisterMedium_LRG.jpg

Unless you are walking across rough terrain I'd suggest going to a GOOD running shop and getting some decent shoes.... asics, new balance or my personal faves saucony and brooks. Get someone to match the right shoe to your foot. You either walk straight or over/under pronate. A good shoe will compensate for this.

I used to run a lot, now a little but I suffer from shin splints. Bad shoes make this a whole lot worse as I'm carrying a little extra weight than I used to. The brooks shoes I'm running in at the mo have saved my shins. I ran 5k twice this week (and I'm a lazy bitch!) - knees and shins are in good condition - no pain. My old neutral asics started to hurt, they were fitted to me but even if your old shoes were good, they won't be now.

Have you thought about what we used to call scouts pace to burn some extra calories? run/walk/run/walk?

Personally I'd take a bike! ;-)

Gotta get your heart rate into the fat burning zone and keep it there, consume less energy than you burn.

Good luck. Sounds like fun!
I could do with some air myself.

-T

I think it's an excellent idea, and you're planning to work your way up to it very well. Hey, Granny D. did it in her 90s -- walked coast-to-coast, west to east.

May I recommend two books? First, Colin Fletcher's The Complete Walker; it's the classic guide to backpacking. His approach is very much oriented toward the western third of the US, but his suggestions -- especially about clothing, kit, etc. -- are adaptable for almost any terrain. [Oh, I recommend Vibram-soled hiking boots; "walking shoes" aren't going to cut it for this trip.]

Second, Fletcher's The Thousand-Mile Summer, about how he hiked the length of California. It'll encourage you in your plans.

Peace,
Paul

Sounds like an Appalachian Trail thing! I can do 17 miles a day on the Appalachian trail without much problem. I imagine on smooth pavement you could do more. I hope you have fun. The thing about hiking is you see your surroundings in slow motion. Unlike a car at 60. Try to pick some scenic routes and you will enjoy it.

I always wanted to hike the whole Appalachian trail. I even have the DVD sets with photos and all the topographical maps and GPS downloads for my hiking gps. I just could never take 3 months off. Get a hiking GPS. It tells you how fast you are walking, ETA to next checkpoint Altitude and everything. Makes it fun.

If ya get the chance do it!

Appalachian trail is beautiful. I've had a wonder out there near ATL.

If you're going off-road like that hiking boots are a much better choice.

I still recommend having a look for corrective insoles as your pronation/supination tends to get worse with a large backpack on.

Might try and lose some weight before you go (run/walk/run) so that you feel on top of the world when you start out and can enjoy the whole thing, plus it'll be easier on your knees.

P/S I didn't realise quite how long you were considering walking... the WHOLE country. Nice but I'd definitely do it on a bike if it were me!!

-T

Well, no, not the whole country, just whatever portion I can handle in a summer. I haven't decided on a route or destination yet, but again, those will more than likely be determined by who I can meet up with along the way.

I've already considered and rejected the Appalachian Trail, as I'm a lot more interested in the small towns and back roads than in lots of trees. Not that I don't like trees, it's just that I want to see more than that.

[quote author="PRR"] > something quite crazy
...I've bedded-down in the weeds. And had the local cops come look me over. Decades ago, a clean demeanor would get you through. Today they may drag you in on general principle. ...[/quote]

On my 'walk' from Oregon to Michigan my friend (Paco) and I were picked up on a major highway in Idaho Falls, ID and driven at @130mph out into the deeeeeep woods by a local trooper. We were then summarily kicked out of the car and abandoned. Yes, we spent the next 24 hours finding our way out. No, I'm not Mexican (Paco is,) but I don't think that race was at all a factor.

[quote author="PRR"] ...Have you slept through 4" rainstorms? You must have those at Huron... do you have 95 deg and 95% humidity at midnight? Every time I went through Indianapolis in July they arranged such brutality for me. And I recall an August in Oklahoma and the Ozark which was worse...
[/quote]

We were drinking about a 2-liter a day through the western deserts. It was sheer torture! Imagine two miserable dudes slogging through 110 degree wet heat while backpacking 20-30lbs in hot water alone.

I had read that the arabs raise their turbans every few minutes to let the sweat cool their heads. Hey, it kinda works with a T-shirt too.

It's a cruel cosmic joke that the same drylands that threaten to turn you into a dried out raisin in the daytime also threaten to turn you into a popsicle at night... Some serious gear research is probably required. Then again, that won't be a challenge for you based on your level of technical ability :wink:

We met our share of roughnecks too, it's probably better to travel with at least one partner.

Most people are on the defense and can be easily put at ease with a few kind and/or intelligent words. Everyone has a story about someone picking up transients/hitchikers and getting attacked, so you have to understand their skepticism.

I had a 'cord' belt that doubled as a whip/weapon. This belt had a slip-knot in it, and I had practiced removing it with both offensive and defensive postures. You might think of it as akin to drawing a pistol.

Occasionally I would carry a decent rock or two in my pocket, and if I met someone who seemed at all aggressive I would just palm the rock with the intention of throwing it or using it to fortify my fist.

Overall I think people are nice and mostly seem curious about people who are just 'passing by.' I'd say go for it, but with a lot of research and preparation.

For inspiration, try 'On the Road' by Jack Kerouac. That book had a lot to do with why I found myself out there in the first place. Ever wonder where the dual entendre' "Beat Poet" came from?

There have to be some packaged walking tours out there... a friend of mine bicycled across the USA a few years ago, and it was a fairly nicely put together tour. Nothing fancy, they stayed in schools since it was summer, but they had baggage vans, a bicycle repair van, etc.

Appalachian trail is beautiful. I've had a wonder out there near ATL.

:thumb:

My neck of the woods.

Come walk through ATL, Consul, and you'll be beaten, robbed and then arrested for vagrancy.. all by the same cop!

Seriously though, anyone seen walking down the road with a backpack on WILL be stopped repeatedly by the cops anywhere near ATL and it's suburbs. Heck, I've been stopped just riding my bike down the road many times!

some parts of this country are still stuck in the 1950s... in a bad way.

i saw way too much of the south and 'the heartland' when in the army. now i never have to go there again. ha ha ha ha ha ha!

[quote author="solder_city"]some parts of this country are still stuck in the 1950s... in a bad way.

i saw way too much of the south and 'the heartland' when in the army. now i never have to go there again. ha ha ha ha ha ha![/quote]

And you can get the same treatment in Beverly Hills. The only difference is they might be slightly more likely to consider the possibility that there are cameras out of sight filming, and the whole thing is a gag for some show. So you are a bit less likely to get roughed up.

Latest posts

Back