this is been in my head at the moment. 500 series consoles

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bigugly, that's pretty wild! Well done for getting some food for thought down in print.

Can I suggest in the master/monitoring section, you try to go with the API modular footprint otherwise it starts to become highly customised. I'm thinking totally standard sized building blocks if it is at all possible.

Cheers

[quote author="Junction"]Can I suggest in the master/monitoring section, you try to go with the API modular footprint otherwise it starts to become highly customised. I'm thinking totally standard sized building blocks if it is at all possible.[/quote]

I don't think I understand. Do you mean I should make the different functions fit into 500 type modular cases that plug int the master section?

Junction,

I've been playing around with the modular idea but here's the rub. The master/monitor section is different than the channel section. There are some functions that require multiple inputs and/or outputs. That doesn't lend itself to the modular format. It can be done but I don't think it would be worth it.

Consider the mast/mon section I posted. All the speaker, monitor, and talkback sources would be in separate modules. All of these function have common inputs so having them separate increases the number of PCBs needed and the cost to get the metalwork made. Not to mention they would all have non-standard pin outs.(as compared to the API pin out) Now, expand that to the 8 bus masters, Cue/FX masters, FX returns, and metering and the overall complexity goes up.

Also, the original idea was for an inexpensive console that someone could put their 500 series modules into. I have been working on ideas similar to this(just as an intellectual exercise) long before Pucho started this thread. I never really followed all the way through on any of them. Building a console is more complex and more expensive than I want to get in to.

I do have some schematics for aux and routing, fader buffers, and the meters could be cribbed for a number of places. I have also been teaching myself SolidWorks so I have been using this idea of Pucho's as inspiration. I'm getting better at it but it will take me a few more weeks to get the chassis done for just the channels. If anyone want to get really involved in this I'd be more than willing to share all that I have up to this point.

cheers,
James

James, what I am thinking is to go with a Eurocard style frame, which provides much higher density connectors for complicated modules like you are talking about and for tube modules having high current requirements, you can then use multiple pins to pass req'd current.

Then you could have a simple 500 Edac to DIN41612 adaptor so you can mix and match 500 and non-500 type modules.

Also if you need more real estate for knobs and switches, you could then go with a double width module, or like in the Eurocard format where they have 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 10, 12 ..... 84HP width module options.

Just a thought
Michael

.... hmmm, think I just hit a snag in my concept;

The 500 board is 4.5" high or 114.3mm whereas the EuroCard board is 100mm high so a 500 module will not fit a standard 3ru Euro frame.

Also the the 500 panel is 1.5" wide whereas the Euro panel is in increments of 0.2" (per 1HP) therefore a 500 panel is 7.5HP which is a bit odd and not sure if this will fit the standard threaded Euro rails.

:oops: ... back to the drawing board.

Michael

How about using a second 30 pin connector to provide extra connections for busses, etc? Most modules with many controls on the front need an extra PC board anyway. Here is a picture of a PurpleAudio 500 module rack. Note connector position 9:

SWEETTENFRONTv1.jpg

The left connector would be wired the usual way. Its an opportunity to extend an existing "standard" too.

Also, I found the Tonelux site (Paul Wolff's, of API fame, relatively new venture) www.tonelux.com interesting in terms of modular console construction. Click on the "CLICK HERE FOR INSTALLS AND OUR HONORED GUESTS!" link and take a look at "Jimmy Messina's Home Studio" to see details of a 32 channel console with Tonelux and API modules.

Played around with this a little yesterday. If you assume that the rack parts are going to be custom made for this, you can pack 12 modules across the 19inch width. Of course, these racks could not be used in a normal relay rack cabinet to mount 500 modules. This would also allow the use of normal rack equipment (such as patchbays, A/D converters, processing equipment) within the console area. The end plates of the rack "buckets" are small enough to be machined on a CNC router bed of the typical DIY variety.

With a console of two buckets, you could have 16 input channel faders and 8 buss faders. With a console of three buckets, you could build a 28 X 8 (or a 24 X 4 X 8, etc.).

Does anyone know of any 500 compatible industry generic racks etc rather than API, Purple etc ..... why, because I've been looking at these racks from Vector;

http://www.vectorelect.com/Product/Subracks/CCK13-Series.htm

It's the CMA style that use the EFP card modules. They look close to being about 500 series size, but I note the module width is 1.6" wheras 500 is 1.5" wide. Could a 500 module fit this rack?

It seems like a pretty cost effective solution, you can get pricing from Newark and because it's modular, there are quite a lot of options for customising it a little.

Michael

Michael

Check out:

http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=25604&highlight=500+idea

Should answer your Questions about Vector CCK13 series. :thumb:

You got to do some work (fun DIY!!) but these will work for you.

GARY

Gary, thank you for that insight.

Would I be correct in saying that the Vector EFP modules would not fit your frame properly, because the front panel is 1.65" wide? These are supposed to be for the CMA frame, but just wondering as they are kinda neat and cheap.

http://www.vectorelect.com/Product/Subracks/EFP-Module.htm

These CM modules are also interesting but 1", 2" and 4" wide only
http://www.vectorelect.com/Product/Subracks/CM-Module.htm

Michael

[quote author="Junction"]
Would I be correct in saying that the Vector EFP modules would not fit your frame properly, because the front panel is 1.65" wide? These are supposed to be for the CMA frame, but just wondering as they are kinda neat and cheap.l[/quote]

That is correct ! You could use them but not for 500 series format.

These are a very neat thing BUT they are not only to wide but at
6.5 inches long they are also to long. Vector also only offers their 15/30 pin .156 pitch cards in 4.5" x 4.5" at the longest. The 6.5" long
.156 pitch cards come in only 22/44 pins so you got to cut them down
to fit a API 500 series frame (about 5.8 " long). Plus cuting down a 22/44 pin card to 15/30 card leave the contacts .078" off centre.

The way I DIYed it works well but it will not take totally inclosed modules
but just a simple L shaped carriers.

GARY

Back