mexican radio from my heater

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sonicmook56

I am sitting here in my living room, surfing the web when I notice faint music in my house... I turn off the stereo and it's still there... It's coming from my gas heater. I suspect the reflectors are vibrating??.... Amazing.

There is a AM transmitter down the street...

An "ionovac" transducer of sorts it sounds like. See for example

http://www.ionovac.com/dshistory1.htm

I think I'd consider moving out of the area if possible.

EDIT: I see that I just assumed that the gas was on. But maybe it's not?

> was KRKD, the site was sold

That tower is VERY famous in L.A. history.

Listen close. Is it really Mexican, or is it "tongues"?

Aimee Semple McPherson was Blessed, in 1916 toured the country in her "Gospel Car", then settled near LA at Echo Park and built Angelus Temple: 5K seats, 3 shows a day, 7 days a week. She was one of the first "televangelists" and the first woman to hold an FCC broadcast license.
as5.JPG

Her message was soft-pedal Pentecostal. Maybe in Echo Park your heater picks up 60-year echos of her nightly radio services.

Dr. Schuller's Crystal Cathedral and Hour of Power broadcast, and the other modern mega-preachers, could be seen as later-day copy-cats of Aimee's Temple and radio service. Note that Aimee built her empire in a decade, twice as quick as the Crystal. (Not that speed has anything to do with spiritual worth; but a cynic would say Aimee was a faster fundraiser than Robert.) (OTOH, before speech amplification, Billy Sunday built and preached a 18K seat tabernacle in NYC. The "sawdust trail" is for acoustics.)

I've omitted much of Aimee's drama and history. I think her tower and frequency were transferred many times, notably to KIIS, but I gather the tower is not powered-up today.

If this were the 1930s again, and you were closer to the border, Mexican Radio could rattle your heater. The 50KW limit traditional in the US was not observed on Mexican licenses aimed at US markets.... Mexico had good reason for allowing 200KW+ transmitters a mile onto their desert but a few miles from Texas or California cities. But you are not that close to the border, and WWII brought some sanity to cross-border radio.

And of course a gas heater often has a chimney. If the neighbors are loud, and I sit near my fireplace, I hear them a little.

But Aimee's Ghost is a better story.

I just got an old McMartin AM monitor receiver, dedicated to one frequency, 640 Khz.

A single wire strung about the room works.
A coil of hook-up wire is better.
Holding the wire in my hand is best....can get over-modulated that way...... too strong.

What works best, strangely, is to lay the loose coil flat on the cement floor.

Godar AM antenna arriving soon /ebay/$20.

A proper DIY coil/loop w an air cap is planned for a rainy day.....errrr, a really hot day in L.A.

=FB=

Latest posts

Back