My recent project... (pics)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SSLtech

Been a little busy at work lately, building and fitting out a new room. Here are some pics:

This is the machine room. There's more... -Hidden behind the wall of racks that you can see is a second wall of racks...
MachineRm.jpg

This is the projection room. -yes, film projection!!! 2x 35mm projectors with changeover, one massive JVC digital projector... great for viewing parties! :wink:
Projection.jpg

This is a picture of the console, with the screen dark:
ConsoleDark.jpg

...and a picture with the JVC projector running:
ConsolePic.jpg

It's not finished yet, it's been keeping me busy for a while, and for a long time it was semi-secret, but I recon that since they've started showing it to people, I might as well share some pics with my buddies here!

The console is a harrison MPC-3, with 224-channels, full matrix output for up to 16 monitor feeds. Panning is fully programmable across all output buses.

There are eight Pro-Tools 192kHz HD systems. The I/O count for the three source systems is 64, 48 and 32. There are 4 x MX-2424's, 4x MMR-8's, 2x MMP-16s and a full AES routing system. Three Lexicon 960L's, three TC electronic 6000 systems also...

THis is why I haven't been round the lab so much lately... :twisted:

Keith

KEEF!!!

I thought you knew I didnt want any photos published to the public yet? :evil:

cant there be any surprises!!!

Scenaria...

I thought we agreed, pics of your living room are fine, pics of your bedroom are off limits...? :?:

...So you can see why some questions I asked recently are suddenly cropping up: 'Futzing' a signal for phone/intercom/PA simulation, etc...

Of coourse, I'm getting bombarded by people asking to view their video projects in there... -the trouble is that it will look better on a 32" regular CRT monitor than it will after it's been through a digitizer, scaler/line doubler, projector etc... :roll:

None the less, the picture is actually pretty good for a dub stage... after all, in this room the focus is on the audio, *NOT* the picture... the film projection looks great of course, but the video projection is still not as good as a $500 CRT...

The sound system is run through a secondary matrix which accomodates all of the crossovers, delays, routing and a small amount of room EQ. There are 3 main (L-C-R) arrays across the front, behind the (perforated) screen and a multiple array or surround speakers. The matrixing will tale the up to 16 possible inputs and assign them to different outputs with the appropriate level compensation, delay, crossover and EQ applied. The 'surrounds' are set up to be configured for simple Ls/Rs, Ls/Cs/Rs, Ls/Rs/Z (Imax), or multi-part surround panning.

My next project is to record the 30-piece brass band in B-format using a soundfield mic, then decode it using the plug-in, to generate a true 5.1 music bed for a stop-motion animated piece that we're currently working on...

Time for a beer....

:guinness:

Keef

You know what happens when you tie all those cords with cable ties don't you? You end up having to move everything around and cut all the bindings!

:grin:

I need to come see this place first hand! it looks awesome!

Shane

... , Ls/Rs/Z (Imax), ...

:?

do I know what this one is ??

excellent work there Keef !!
we have nothing quite like that here ...

side note:
I've just made the HD move ... not smiling yet but I'll deal with the pros and cons in time.

kev what did you update to HD from? im thinking about going 888 just because its cheap and can bring in alot of inputs. the HD system is just to expensive for someone who wants to stay PT and have more inputs/TDM over a 002. :( sad

*sorry for thread hijak*

MixPlus to HD2
core + an XL card
I got a plug pack that was a little larger ... HD3
lucky me ... I'm a good customer

I traded the ADAT bride ... old 20 bit
I sold me 888/24's privately

I now have just a 92 I/O ... I'll hang an Ai3 off the light pipe and stay 44.1 and 24 bit for now.

I'll get a 002 soon.

Most off my recordings over the past year have started on a 001 system with an Ai3 ... out and mobile.

If you want to record ... get the 002
If you want to mix in the box then getting onto HD anyway you can will be the way to go.

IF you want max I/O and will use a desk and outboard then I can see why you may go for a Mix system.
I think you will want 88/24 and not the 888's

I could say a lot more ... start another thread. :roll:

...what was that sound??

..oh, that was my jaw hitting the floor... :wink:
:guinness: :thumb:

Lindell,

I saw that you had your 10B for sale awile back. Did you have a change of heart and decide to keep it?

Cheers,

elco

Hur hur...

There have been a few bugs, that's for sure... but the scene was playing at the time that I took the photo. (checking the rouoter/scaler... There are DVD, V10 (Avid/Pro-Tools nonliner video) High-Def D-VHS, Digibeta and other inputs... All transport synchronisation is handled by a Soundmaster ION system, which has 16 ports for individual machines, and a synchronous TC generator.

All timecode is switched and fed through a Brainstorm 'Distripalyser' then fed through an array of Brainstorm Distribution amplifiers, -one in every rack- to all devices which receive TC. The Aardavk master wordclock generators (there are three of them) are all slaved to house video reference. Each clock generator is set to a different clockrate: nominally 44.1, 48 and 32kHz. If anyone brings in material which was done at an unmantched framerate, the two devices can be synced together and the Sample rate conversion should therefore be synchronous instead of asynchronous. (alternatively, the analog I/O can be used)

There's a lot ot it!!!

Keith

keef!

I think the racks need to be moved to the other wall!

oh and the console should be pulled back a few feet

:green:

Scenaria has the studio setup to launder money from his fabulously successful p0rn enterprise... you might have heard of "Naughtytubes-dot-com"?

Anyhow, I'm merely the tech. I wire stuff up, take the late night calls and fix it when the magic smoke escapes!

:green:

Keef

Latest posts

Back