MartyMart

Plane struck by Lightning !!
« on: April 11, 2008, 05:47:04 PM »
Flying out of heathrow today to Bucharest and about 10 minutes in the bloody plane was struck  !
FLASH -- BANG -- BANG , big drop and lots o turbulence followed.
Several people screaming, which makes everyone feel worse right ?
It was all OK and we carried on.
Bloody scary though  :?

Marty. ( with small brown stain in pants )
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"

JohnRoberts

« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2008, 07:22:30 PM »
Glad you're OK... That's why they make you keep your windows closed and hands inside.

JR
Don't only half-ass tune your drums. Visit https://circularscience.com to hear what properly "cleared" drums sound like.

Lowfreq

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2008, 07:23:30 PM »
Dang...........

EEMO1

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2008, 04:18:41 AM »
yeah,

been through that one. not sure it was lightning, but still...

followed by another incident on the same flight while landing. another plane was landing aswell so my plane took back off from the runway.

i've pretty much hated flying ever since. not like a fobia, i just f**king hate doing it.

Steve Jones

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2008, 04:38:31 AM »
I was coming into sydney one night during a storm, a few minutes before landing. I had a window seat above the starboard wing. I was looking straight out the window along the wing when a bolt of lightning hit the wing, it forked into 3 and hit the wing in 3 places right in front of me. The plane felt like it was hit with a giant hammer, a massive solid blow.

There wasn't a mark on the paint afterwards. Those planes are so tough, millions of volts and hundreds of thousands of amps on a metal wing full of fuel and vapor, and all the electronics in the aircraft, and we just flew on.
Synthesizer technician
Sydney Australia.

http://synthrepairs.com

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2008, 07:15:17 AM »
Marty - I apologise for going OT. A friend of mine was unable to fly for years after being caught in a storm (it made the local news, it was so bad), so you have my sympathies.

Steve, if you can find a spare minute, could you have a quick look at the last few posts in this thread: http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=25005

My options for finding someone here in the Uk to fix it are pretty limited, so I'd like to make sure I've ruled everything out before I throw in the towel... Do P5's have a reputation for having Vregs crap out under load?

Justin
Prepare yourself. You are about to become the voice of Interplanetary Parliament.

Steve Jones

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2008, 04:32:12 PM »
Quote from: "thermionic"
Marty - I apologise for going OT. A friend of mine was unable to fly for years after being caught in a storm (it made the local news, it was so bad), so you have my sympathies.

Steve, if you can find a spare minute, could you have a quick look at the last few posts in this thread: http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=25005

My options for finding someone here in the Uk to fix it are pretty limited, so I'd like to make sure I've ruled everything out before I throw in the towel... Do P5's have a reputation for having Vregs crap out under load?

Justin

Hi Justin, I didn't see your thread, I'll go over there now.
Synthesizer technician
Sydney Australia.

http://synthrepairs.com

pucho812

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2008, 12:20:39 AM »
I had that happen to a night flight I was on. Talk about scary. Nothing beats being over 33000 feet above ground  and hearing a huge boom when the plane got hit. Sounded as if something blew up.
You tell me whar a man gits his corn pone, en I'll tell you what his 'pinions is.

Re: Plane struck by Lightning !!
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2008, 02:33:10 AM »
Quote from: "MartyMart"
10 minutes in the bloody plane was struck  !
FLASH -- BANG -- BANG , big drop and lots o turbulence followed.

Had that happen flying back from new york to denmark.

Scariest thing ever. I also think it took about 90000 hours before the pilot came on and said everything was ok.

Gustav

amorris

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2008, 09:22:28 AM »
No lightning, but on approach to Houston, we dropped a few feet and the flight attendant cursed "Holy...." I would have not been that alarmed, but if she was nervous, we must have had a close one.

Zee1usa

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2008, 09:07:32 PM »
Was on a flight in to Pamona, CA one time and the wind was real bad. We were almost ready to land when we hit some heavy turbulance and the plane dropped several feet , so the pilot pulled out of the landing circled around and attempted to land again ; the same thing happened again, but we landed safely. It was a bumpy one!  z
Quote from: "jrmintz"
Dave,
 The most important thing is to finish something and let it be heard instead of f*cking around making the "perfect" album for twenty years.

MartyMart

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2008, 05:34:23 AM »
Thanks for the replies, at least I'm not the only one !!
I do a LOT of flying ( concerts all over the place ) and have quite mixed
feelings about it. ( over 100 flights last year ! )

Generally I'm OK but I do like to have a couple of drinks in me !
Went into Hannover last year in a very small Jet - about 35 seats - and that
was a real roller coaster ride, I quite enjoyed it, but you felt EVERY movement !

The airport queue's etc are a real PITA though  :roll:

One thing that I don't recommend is watching plane video's on youtube !!

MM.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"