Exchange student going to Lyon France...

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BE MINDFUL OF CURRENT CONSUMPTION.

They make Switcher converters which are great for 1400Watt hairdriers, but won't charge a cellphone. They also sell little 50-Watt transformers which will charge your cellphone, power your electric shaver etc. but plug a hairdrier in, and you'll smell something very unpleasant.

Trouble is, transformers are HEAVY if you need lots of amps, and switchers are lousy if you need a tiny amount...

So get one of each, and read the first line of this post again.

...and again... and again.

Also, you'll need to go TO 120V, not FROM 120V... Basically all of Europe is now federalised on 237Volts, if I recall correctly. Basically 240V.

The hertz don't really matter unless you're running a turntable or a Hammod Organ.

And if YOU are going, take a moment to go to the motor museum down by the confluence of the Saone and the Rhone. -unless things have changed, they still have Hitler's staff car there, with a bullet scratch in one of the windows, from where an SS officer fired his pistol at it, to prove that it was bullet-proof...

Keith

Thanks Guys. Yeah TO 120V not FROM, drunken typo last night :sam: :green:

Yeah the current consumption was the issue for her hair straightener. It's at 400 watts and then the cell phone charger and camera charger.

So she'll need two then. A hefty switching type and one of the little 50 watt models. OK thanks

Unfortunately I'm not going Keith, but I am going to Sea World in Orlando that week. First real vacation in years! But hell I live on Cape Cod, people come HERE for summer vacations.

since she is going to be there for a little while, It may just benefit for her to replace the hair stuff there...

the cell phone charger may be a universal.. lots of those now days, just need to change (adapt) the plug.

Hi Ciminosound,
As a french citizen and resident, I would recommend your daughter to leave her haidryer at home and buy a new one in Lyon.
( I know girls can be sensitive about their haidryer model, but tell her we have nice models here :grin: )
For her cell phone charger, or laptop, or Ipod, all of these equipment now use SMPS that work from 90 to 250V, 50/60Hz.
All she'll need are some plug converters from the two flat US pins to the 2 round french sockets . available in any supermarket.
Continental Europe mains is now normalised to 230V.
I wish a nice stay to your daughter in France.
Guy

Latest posts

Back