GSSL Turbo board complete!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hey all,

I'm still getting lots of emails asking about ready-built boards...

I'm afraid that I only had thee boards (which I assembled to check QC consistency etc.) and I have the first one installed in the original compressor now, and the other two were the ONLY other two which I had.

I won't be assembling any more boards (a couple of people have asked me for four or more boards) -they'll be available as soon as the next round of boards comes in... -I anticipate in a week or so.

If you need to order a board to assemble yourself, this is the thread to do it in.

Thanks to everyone, and enjoy your Turbos Martin and Marshall! :thumb:

...and remember ALL good things come with a "turbo"! :twisted:

Sunset_rear_turbo.jpg

IMG_6524.jpg

Keith

My turbo boards arrived today so is started building right away, i couldn't wait. :cool:
Behold, the ultimate turbo GSSL!

turbossl.jpg

Yep... pretty packed case :grin:

2x supersidechain board with thrust filter, led GR meter (20, 10 and 2 db switchable scale) board and stereo external sidechain :green:
How it sounds? Great!!! i haven't even made it switchable, maybe i will, then the makeupgain pot will be a push/pull switched pot taking care of the switching.
But i have a standard ssl here that i can use if i want that sound.

Thanks guys! :guinness: :guinness:

BTW.. i didn't build this in one day.. :grin:
I just modified my existing SSL, i did some work before the board arrived, putting in an extra sidecain board and replaced the sidechain switch with a 2 pole version so all i had to do was adding the board. :cool:

[quote author="dagoose"]
Yep... pretty packed case :grin:

2x supersidechain board with thrust filter,.....[/quote]

Do you find these hpf/thrust filters still usefull now having the turbo board installed?
From what I understand from Keith's video the Turbo board already made the gssl less reactive to kick/ bass signals ....

[quote author="radiance"]
Do you find these hpf/thrust filters still usefull now having the turbo board installed?[/quote]

I was about to ask to exact same thing... :wink:

eD)))

actually... not really i think..
Maybe the trust high circuit might still be interesting, it boosts high and cuts low so that it reacts just a little different.
I think the hi pass filter doesn't do much now, haven't really checked (i will tonight) but a quick test didn't make much difference when switched to let's say 120hz hi pass.

More info and sound samples soon

[quote author="SSLtech"]Good work!

-Were the instructions clear, or do I need to improve anything there?

Cheers!

Keith[/quote]

clear for me, only thing i had ''problems'' with where the sidechain boards'and how to connect but it all makes sense now.

Maybe it's a good idea to point out more that the board is not driven with 15 0 15 but with 12 0 12, i was a bit like, ''let's connect the power to the 15v lines, that's easier'' then i took a better look and found out it's powered with 12v.

Well done dagoose! Looks great!

I have two supersidechains ready to go , with a turbo (when they're in stock)..and I'm gonna do like u did with my original standard gssl.

What do you think the total current draw is , with all of the add on boards..?

I did my first gssl with a 6va tx (15-0-15)..I'm wondering if that will now be a bit too small to cope with all of the extra stuff..

cheers!

nEon.

[quote author="Dr nEon"]Well done dagoose! Looks great!

I have two supersidechains ready to go , with a turbo (when they're in stock)..and I'm gonna do like u did with my original standard gssl.

What do you think the total current draw is , with all of the add on boards..?

I did my first gssl with a 6va tx (15-0-15)..I'm wondering if that will now be a bit too small to cope with all of the extra stuff..

cheers!

nEon.[/quote]

About the current... havan't checked that yet, i have to pull it out of the rack again to do that, maybe i will later on this week when i have the time.
I think the boards do not use much actually, nothing like power heavy stuff, just some opamps and vca's.

Great stuff if u can get a chance to check that!.. :grin:

..I know that some people are gonna be wanting to add two supersidechains to go with the turbo..relays..extra leds etc.. to something they built years ago, like myself, not expecting future peripherals..so it would be nice to have a rough idea!

But maybe the 6va is still ok...let's see..

:thumb:

Cheers

neon.

I just measured the one which I built, and I read under 100mA each supply leg for the GSSL, the turbo, three LEDs and two PCB-mount style relays (doing bypass and turbo-in duties).

So adding about 50mA (VERY generous) for two sidechain boards gives 150mA, or 0.15A

30V x .15 = 4.5VA...

6VA should therefore be able to cope, by my estimate, allowing for peak correction etc... (and my figures are worst-case, don't forget)

A full 1.4 peak correction gives 6.3VA, but I really doubt that you'll exceed six.

I say build it, then measure the current. If you do find that you exceed six, you can always order a slightly more powerful tranny, but I do doubt that you'll find that you are pulling more than that.

Keith

OK , nice one Keith! :thumb:

It's nice to get some figures on this...I'll go for it ( soon as the turbo's are back in stock), like you say , and measure..

BTW Keith , I've been asking on the Lab about implementing the earth lift provision that I've seen you suggesting , to decouple 0volts/pin1 from chassis...Just out of interest, what kind of switch do you prefer for that ,and how heavy duty do you go (current rating)...

Cheers

nEon

There shouldn't be any significant current involved, neither should there be any significant voltage involved either... so anything ofer 25V and 1A is MORE than ample.

Keith

I just modded my second GSSL with another turbo board and made this one switchable with just one hp filter board.
This hp filter board is just 4x hp freq and a external out so a 6 pos switch.
I never used the external sidechain so that position is now the turbo position :cool:
To make it work i added a relay based system, otherwise it wasn't possible.
When i switch to the EXT position the relay gets 12v and switches to turbo. :green:
When in off it's just like a no modded SSL and then i still have 4 positions with hipass in regular mode as well.

I made a simple drawing the way i connected things.
The rest is connected as it should be according to the turbo drawings.

This way you save one sidechainbaord in case you want to use it anyway (in turbo mode you don't really need it) and still have GSSL mode with sidechain.
If you use a 2 deck switch you can use pos 11 or what ever on the second deck to power the turbo mode relay.

sidechainmod.jpg

Nice work Keith,

The vid was a great idea and really helps in understanding what the Turbo mod is doing. I havent been overly joyful with my GSSL although I do get some use out of it(Im much happier with my g1176). If these boards are still available I might get one as I do have a couple of spare vca's on hand.

BRAVO!!! :green:

[quote author="drpat"]My 202 equipped GSSL is definitely the least used piece of gear in my studio. I've always hated the way it sounds on the mix buss, which seems to be what most people use it for. Hopefully, this will bring new life to an otherwise great looking piece of gear...[/quote]

Same here (but with THAT VCA's). I use it for single sources more than buss compression, but even at that I usually grab for my RNC's first. A new 1176 has been on my to-do list, but I might try this mod first since it's a much smaller project.

-Chris

[quote author="drpat"]Nice Keith...

My 202 equipped GSSL is definitely the least used piece of gear in my studio. I've always hated the way it sounds on the mix buss, which seems to be what most people use it for. Hopefully, this will bring new life to an otherwise great looking piece of gear...[/quote]
Pat, I value your opinion highly.

The boards have apparently touched down in Alaska as of now, and are on their way to Texas.

I welcome any comments about what other people think of the difference in character with this mod. -I have to say that I was VERY surprised at what a positive improvement it has made.

Keith

Latest posts

Back