GSSL Turbo board complete!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all,

got a problem with my first GSSL and the Turbo board. The Comp is working fine in GSSL Mode. When I am switching over to TURBO mode, the Meter kicks in furiously and is pinning. It is resettling only slowly. The meter needle also moves when I rotate the threshold pot, but not according to the compressed audio. I`m not shure if it is compressing at all in turbo mode. From time to time the compression and the meter kicks in extremly (pinning), resettling only slowly.  I have checked everything, already exchange some parts including the VCA and the IC, wiring is according to the installation manual. As VCAs I am using the pre-trimmed verison 2181LB (i think).

Thanks in advance!
Max

Hi,

Well i had big problems with my 2(!) Turbo boards too.
Maybe this could help you

http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=28113.80

In the end it was a looooong run, but Turbo mode ROCKS!!!
It is soo mutch closer to the desk!!!!

Rock-On!

Hi J,

thanks for your reply! I read through your thread and measured everything - did not get a clue what there is wrong. Then I discoverd this thread: http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=27533.0.

=> I works now!!!

What was wrong? Not sure, but most probably my connections to the 47K on the main board were not that good.  :mad:

The switchable turbo mode is really an excellent feature. I`m really pleased with normal mode on the drum bus but for compressing whole mixes i would rather choose the turbo mode.

Thanks!
Max

thought I'd copy and paste a question and answer that came in regarding this board.

Some time ago I have a gssl with turbo and your crc board. All with success and and good sound!

This weekend I have upgraded two superside chain boards. All is working fine but I have realised that now turbo mode compresses less (about 4dB) than gssl mode!

Question: 1. Are you familiar with the little problem? 2. Do you have a hint for what I could do to make turbo mode compress the same like gssl mode?

It’s actually not that simple... Let me try to explain:

This isn’t a fault. They will ALWAYS be different, except when they’re the same...

Send a signal into one side ONLY. Then compare Turbo and GSSL modes.... They should be the same.

Send a MONO signal to both channels at the same time, and at higher ranges (like 10:1) it should compress almost TWICE as much (almost 6dB more gin reduction).

Send an OPPOSING POLARITY (“out of phase”) signal equal level to both channels (you can do this with a ‘Y’ cable and swapping pins 2 & 3 on one input) and you’ll notice that the Turbo mode compresses INFINITELY more than the GSSL... Because the GSSL mode will not compress AT ALL.

Send a mono signal 90-degrees phase shifted between the two channels, and they will actually compress the exact same degree...

The thing is that the GSSL mode sums the two channels before compression. -the more CENTER channel content there is, the greater the sum, and the more compression.

The ‘fault’ (if it can be called such) is that the GSSL compresses center information “too much”. The more things are panned away from center (the “wider the mix”) the less they compress in GSSL. The more “mono” the mix, the more they compress in GSSL.

The turbo mode is independent of common-sum information, so compresses by a consistent amount.

There’s nothing to ‘do’ other than trim the threshold control when comparing to gain an overall similar degree of reduction, but the degree of reduction HAS to be dynamically different in order for there to be a difference between the two modes.

Hope that makes some sense.

Keit

Could anyone help me out with C1-C5, as far as which type of capacitors I need to buy..the BOm only lists
100p
22uf@25V
100nf

pretty nooby, but how do I know which type of caps to get?

thx
s

Fuccimain said:
Could anyone help me out with C1-C5, as far as which type of capacitors I need to buy..the BOm only lists
100p
22uf@25V
100nf

pretty nooby, but how do I know which type of caps to get?

thx
s

100pf - ceramic
22uf 25v electolytic
100nf - film capacitor

I've been searching about this but I've not found a clear message yet, but, Could anyone indicate me a link where I can buy the full list of items I need, and instructions to build the GSSL Bus compressor with this Turbo Mod?
Thanks
:)

Hey guys could you help me please in that question

I have bunch of old DBX2150 VCA,  on the turbo board it says THAT2181, can I use 2150 there,if I'm using them on the main board? and if the answer is "yes" Is there any resistor changes that should be done.?

Would be very thankful for any advice,

Back