Look At These Interesting Front Panels???

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abby normal

Hijacked...

Anyone know of some websites that have photos of vintage pro audio gear archived? Websites that have photos of all the usual suspects and different models of maybe? I'm having a hard time finding photos of various pieces that I would like to DIY or even just to get ideas for "vintage like" front panels.

[quote author="Viitalahde"]Man, that Shadow Hills stuff looks so stupid. :evil:[/quote]
It's sure over the top. I like it ! :cool:

Uhh, but wasn't it solid state ? (apart from the magic eyes)
Ehh, that's stupid ! :wink:

BTW, seems there's a soft-equiv in that style as well:

ChannelStripPro-detail.jpg

[quote author="Viitalahde"]Man, that Shadow Hills stuff looks so stupid. :evil:[/quote]

Seconded, took a good while until I realized they really existed. Thought they were a joke/audio business comment. Utter, terrible design.

Does that Shadow stuff even exist? The compressor photo looks like a painting. Maybe they have not built one yet? :shock:

Don't you guys ever visit Gearslutz? :grin: :wink: :shock: :roll:

Shadow Hills is a respected company. I quite like the 'Dr Frankenstein's control panel' look, but I understand it's not for everyone. It is a touch ornate though - too much detail - I'll grant that, and as such, isn't quite as aesthetically-appealing as that which it is obviously influenced by.

Justin

[quote author="thermionic"]I quite like the 'Dr Frankenstein's control panel' look, but I understand it's not for everyone.[/quote]
To get the overkill-effect they need to go all the way... doing that more modest would spoil the effect I think. Easy of use might be compromised, but OK...

Tastes differ, obviously. And it should be like that.

So what is 'tasteful design' then? Would the SPL mastering gear be 'too aerospace'? What about the Elysia: http://www.elysia.com/

It's a tad conservative, but I think GML have a really good balance in the layout / looks department.

Fairman stuff looks good, as does Gyraf. I also like EAR (not so much the 825).

Justin

[quote author="thermionic"]So what is 'tasteful design' then?[/quote]
That's about as hopeless a discussion as 'what's the best music' and 'what's the most beautiful woman', 'what's the best wine', etc etc :wink:

Uhh BTW, for one of the three I mentioned there won't be too many votes for 'the older the better' :twisted:

whats wrong with shadow hills stuff? i'm pretty sure he's a member on here and a nice guy.
just dont like the big knobs and tick marks on everything? i think it looks pretty slick, maybe a little cluttered, but i like the old tube radio/audio look.

It's a little bunched up (smaller VU's might have helped that one), but I like the vintage vibe. I did not realize it was a real photo of a unit. Must have been fun soldering that one up aye? :shock:

Here's an some examples of what I'm talking about.

teletronix_la2_angl.jpg

Great photo but a center front, back shot and a shot of the guts would be great!

FederalAM-864Ufront.jpg

This one is great (Federal AM864U), a close up would have been tops but hey, what you want? Gut shots to be had look at my stuff seen on ebay post to grab them while they're hot. [/url]

[quote author="asm"]whats wrong with shadow hills stuff? i'm pretty sure he's a member on here and a nice guy.
just dont like the big knobs and tick marks on everything? i think it looks pretty slick, maybe a little cluttered, but i like the old tube radio/audio look.[/quote]

I love big knobs, tick marks, big switches and the whole old tube audio look. That thing is just porly laid out and doesn't look anything like it. It pretty much looks like it makes fun of new retro, and it does it extremely well. Sadly not intentionally.

[quote author="eskimo"][quote author="asm"]whats wrong with shadow hills stuff? i'm pretty sure he's a member on here and a nice guy.
just dont like the big knobs and tick marks on everything? i think it looks pretty slick, maybe a little cluttered, but i like the old tube radio/audio look.[/quote]

I love big knobs, tick marks, big switches and the whole old tube audio look. That thing is just porly laid out and doesn't look anything like it. It pretty much looks like it makes fun of new retro, and it does it extremely well. Sadly not intentionally.[/quote]

For one, it could have been more -- ahem -- discreet.

Back