Look At These Interesting Front Panels???

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The problem with most retro design is that they don't pick up what's really good about old stuff.
The simpleness, the whole "does one thing really fucking well"-thing.
Big knobs for easy dialing laid out clearly from left to right and a simple block letter engraved font.

No, they just throw out a few chicken head knobs, some cheesy italic "retro" font and bling it with blue leds and call it a day.

[quote author="eskimo"]
I love big knobs, tick marks, big switches and the whole old tube audio look. That thing is just porly laid out and doesn't look anything like it. It pretty much looks like it makes fun of new retro, and it does it extremely well. Sadly not intentionally.[/quote]

If you're basing it off other vintage pro audio designs yes, but they could be going for the look in general. Old aircraft cockpit panels look a lot like that with everything squished in there. I'm sure there's a ton of other stuff like that too from back in the day.
We're living in the "more is better" era. Some people would look at that LA-2 and pass on it because it does not have the "compressor" option? WTF???

I have been doing some retro panels for myself lately.
First is a pencil sketch to hash out ideas.
Then I'll semi-render them them up in Corel Draw.

frontretro-1.jpg

Result:
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y177/Midiot/DSCN2039.jpg

My next panel needs a retro feel too. But very simple. Like UREI,
or Manley.

Here's my hi-fi preamp's solid state guts...
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y177/Midiot/DSCN2996.jpg

Guildline has some wicked style:
DSCN2619.jpg

Julie Research Labs (test equipment) faceplates are the coolest....black with stainless steel.
This will be arriving soon to my "lab"...

JUL_NULLD_106_7_F.jpg

I bought this thing (DC null voltmeter??) only because of the Deco faceplate:
http://www.esnips.com/doc/40775739-0f0c-4bc1-bace-b1a51800c838/the-DECAMETER-by-Auto-Data

=FB=

It's almost like you designed that one around the look of the knob. Really cool and really inspiring. I think these old units can make for some really good inspiration.

[quote author="Freq Band"]
JUL_NULLD_106_7_F.jpg

[/quote]
Wow... that thing is crying out to have the meter replaced with a drops-right-in API VU meter, and then converted into a DIY LA-2a!!!

Keith

[quote author="SSLtech"]
Wow... that thing is crying out to have the meter replaced with a drops-right-in API VU meter, and then converted into a DIY LA-2a!!!
Keith[/quote]

....and turn this one I have into an EQ...??

vdr_106_7_front.jpg

vdr_106_7.jpg

NOT ON yer life, buddy !!
:green: :green:

=FB=

[quote author="stickjam"]Now here's an impressive vintage front panel :shock: That would certainly impress a studio client!

Does Front Panel Express do granite? :green:[/quote]

LOL. I had to scroll to see the woman in the entryway until I realized the scale. Those switches are as long as her rm and those monster knife switches must be 4' long! I wonder how much exposed current and voltage is running them? I'm making all my front panels from granite from now on!

Kiira

That rusted meter panel reminds me of a great piece of art at the NY MOMA. It looks like a rusted piece of metal but it is made out of chocolate. I can't remember the artists name. I like clever subversion of expectations.

Back