Carver Pm-300 schematics??

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedNoise

Hi everybody ,
After a short search , I couldn't find schematics of this power amp...Does someone have the schem??
Thx to all.
Spec.
First thread , hope it's here I should do it...

[quote author="RedNoise"]Hi everybody ,
After a short search , I couldn't find schematics of this power amp...Does someone have the schem??
Thx to all.
Spec.
First thread , hope it's here I should do it...[/quote]
Must have been a very short search..... :roll:
www.commerceware.com/sale/pm300/OwnersManual.pdf

Interesting. I never investigated these amps, although I did audition the consumer audio versions when they came out. I had always assumed that the Carver "Magnetic Field Amplifiers" used some sort of saturable reactor rather than some Class-H topology.

I may have gotten that impression because as I recall seeing an article about a saturable reactor audio power amp in either "Popular Electronics" or "Radio Electronics" magazine around the same time as the emergence of the Carver units. The schematic looked like an "April Fools'" joke--with a primary connected directly to 120VAC and a secondary connected to a speaker. In fact it may have been an April issue. But having seen ads at the same time for the new impossibly light and compact Carver Magnetic Field Amplifiers, I never gave it anymore thought.

Whodathunkit! :cool:

thx kevin , I admit I've been a lil bit lazy... :oops:
I thought these owner manuals were for sale...(too fast readin??hahahaha...)
For sure : thx a lot for ur help...

[quote author="stickjam"]Interesting. I never investigated these amps, although I did audition the consumer audio versions when they came out. I had always assumed that the Carver "Magnetic Field Amplifiers" used some sort of saturable reactor rather than some Class-H topology.

I may have gotten that impression because as I recall seeing an article about a saturable reactor audio power amp in either "Popular Electronics" or "Radio Electronics" magazine around the same time as the emergence of the Carver units. The schematic looked like an "April Fools'" joke--with a primary connected directly to 120VAC and a secondary connected to a speaker. In fact it may have been an April issue. But having seen ads at the same time for the new impossibly light and compact Carver Magnetic Field Amplifiers, I never gave it anymore thought.

Whodathunkit! :cool:[/quote]

Bob Carver is famous (some would say notorious) for finding names for fairly prosaic circuits that make them sound like they must be something else. What was that gimmick on the Phase Linear preamp that he called an autocorrelator? And then there's the Sunfire amp with big resistors in the outputs for one set of them anyway, that he associates with tubes somehow? :roll:

[quote author="RedNoise"]thx kevin , I admit I've been a lil bit lazy... :oops:
I thought these owner manuals were for sale...(too fast readin??hahahaha...)
For sure : thx a lot for ur help...[/quote]
No probs. :grin:

The power supply in this Carver amp looks similar to the one in the Studer 189 console. Check out pages 145 through 155-ish in the manual at this link:

ftp://ftp.studer.ch/Public/Products/Mixing_Analog/189/Manuals/

Am I right?

Latest posts

Back