I-AM-A-MAJOR-TOOL

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bitman

The following is a reply I wrote on gearslutz in reply to a cable labeling thread.

I racked up some channel strips and built a +/- 30vdc power supply and put it in there. Knowing the +/- 30vdc would be handy elsewhere, I lazily brought the power out on a female trs jack. (It's mine, I can do that). Not only did I not label it, I just used a short piece of coax to power the makeup amps in a DIY passive summing box. great!

About a month ago, I pulled what I thought was channel 16 from the summer when in fact it was the power. I was going to plug it right into a mpatch 2 attenuator to out to the HR824s. On my way to the mpatch, the tip touched the rack rail and let off a snap and a nice spark. Not at all what I expected but oh how I am glad the rack was powered up so I could be redirected.

- Don't leave yourself litlle land mines.....

Guess what.

Last week I was rearranging some rack conponents with the power on (So I could listen to the PCTV that is routed through the rack) and I did it again.

This time it took out half the bridge rectifier. While replacing that on the solder side of the perfboard I found one of the wire "traces" (really resistor lead) and exploded at a solder connection, complete with arc marks. The PS fuse did not blow but at least that trace melted and I'm back in business (literally) again.

:roll:

:Ron

Latest posts

Back