Neumann SM-2 stereomicrophone

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tony dB

I have a Neumann sm2 collecting dust as i managed to f**kup the top membrame of the mic.
I already send it back to Neumann to get this fixed, but Neumann doesn't have the membranes anymore...
Since i want to try to get 2 identical ones to replace the originals, i need some help here
I assume it would help if i would post some pics?
Will look into that tomorrowmorning.

Thanks Lads!

tony dB

PS when typing lads i remembered about a lady, Vikki, often on TT, someone got in touch with Vikki? I want my own daughter(s) interested in diy and studio too and Vikki comes in handy to convince them :wink:

and i wouldn't mind to try and build the membranes myself...
started to read something about how to make your own membranes, but that was on TT, any directions?

tdB

Try www.oneastroman.com ...he used to have them available. The capsules are KK56's (same as in the KM56) I think he sells on ebay too. Not cheap though. Also try:

http://member.rivernet.com.au/gwagner/forsale/prices.htm

I wish I had an SM-2....or SM-23 (same mic enssentially)! I almost bought one from Bill Brady (the mic shop), but the price was a little too steep.

Cheers,

Kris

PS: right before he died, Stephen Paul developed a killer mod for these capsules. I wonder if SPA still does that mod.

Speaking of the Mic Shop, i was told he sells gold capsules for the sm2 which sound great. Not original and not sure of the price though

Michael

Kris,

www.oneastroman.com is not existing?

Adrianh
cool to know Vikki is here as well! power to her and her LA2A's!

Gus,

i have had no contact with Microtech Gefell yet.
good idea indeed! Why did i didn't think about that? :roll:

mfilter,

Where can i contact the mic shop?

Cheers, :thumb:

Tony.

FWIW, I have a capsule head assembly for a KM-56 which uses the same nickel diaphragmed capsule employed in the SM-2. If you're interested in purchasing it [it ain't cheap] pop me an email: [email protected]

I would suggest having someone like Klaus Heyne of German Master works do the actual installation... he's very experienced with that sort of thing, and the part is pretty much irreplaceable.

Don't know if they still offer it, but a few years back we had a KM-54(which I'm pretty sure is in the same family as the SM-2 and KM-56) refurbished by Blue. The guy actually brought it back to the states himself. Haven't had a problem with it since, but can't recall what it cost either. Just another idea for you.

Good luck,
Zach

Latest posts

Back