OT __ Solar powered fan

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freq Band

GDIY Supporter
I set up my greenhouse that had been in storage. But there is no exterior AC power available to operate the exhaust fan, unless I pay an electrician.

DSCN3216.jpg

The watering system is battery powered.
Greenhouse plants need air movement, or disease/fungus develops.

Can I use a 12v solar cell, a 12v DC fan, and a passive thermostat ?
Is it that easy?
Or is it preferable to have the solar cell charge batteries?

It only needs to operate in the heat of the day.

Sorry if this is basic, and there is a lot on the web, but if you could point me in the right direction....

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y177/Midiot/DSCN3209.jpg

=FB=

Commercial solar powered attic fans....$300 - $400.

http://www.solarelectricsupply.com/Solar-Attic-Fan/index.html

I want to build my own.
Ebay is full of 12v solar trickle chargers for laptops....??

I can source a decent DC fan.

=FB=

I made a solar powered tent fan to solve the morning "wake n' bake" when camping in a field at music festivals. It was a 3x12 cell 12V 30mA hooked to a 12VDC equipment fan. It is gentle and moves enough air out of the tent.
I doubt that that cell would provide enough power for the fan required to ventilate the greenhouse, especially directly connected.
If you know the average AH required for the water and fan then you can do the math.
And you cannot run some direct bury 12-3 out there to take care of the whole shebang yourself? You could then have some lights for nighttime re-potting as well.
Mike

I know of a guy who rolled his own from a solar panel and DC electric fan to cool of a big box truck, full of SR gear.

Modern solar panels are getting cheaper. You could probably charge the battery for your pump and run a 12v fan from some kind of thermostat.

JR[/i]

My neighbor thought that was the reason I erected it.
I disappointed him, "I only grow tropical flowers and plants, not pot"
Although, at age 16, I did grow pot....and from that, I also grew a green thumb.

I do worry a bit, that there may be other neighbors who assume I'm growing something they want to steal...and smoke.

=FB=

[quote author="Freq Band"]My neighbor thought that was the reason I erected it.
I disappointed him, "I only grow tropical flowers and plants, not pot"
Although, at age 16, I did grow pot....and from that, I also grew a green thumb.

I do worry a bit, that there may be other neighbors who assume I'm growing something they want to steal...and smoke.
[/quote]

When I put an evaporating cooling system on my roof my suspicious neighbours also tried to figure out what harm may be done to them or to society by garden sprinklers on my roof...

Go for it and never mind! :thumb:

Back