Headphone distribution box

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bec

Has anyone got a project for a headphone distribution box?
I need at least 4 outputs.
I did a google search and kept finding dead ends.

Please help me.

Bec

Bec ???

my site ... you should know that.

BUT first you need to work out how and what you will drive this distribution box with.

If you only have a standard Headphone out from say ... an M-Box then you probably can't get much more than two H/P's out of it with something like a standard Y cord.

If you have a small HiFi amp at about 25 to 50 watts then a 4 to 8 way distribution box or two 4 way units will be fine ...
Basically all H/Ps are driven in parallel with some resistors in series with each line (left and right). 15 to 30 ohms say. I may have used 18 ?

If this will mean you have to buy or make an amp and spend money then an alternative option might be one of the budget Headphone amps from A or B.
They are quite good value and do give some cool options.
These will give enough volume except when working with loud drum kits and screaming guitar solos at MAX level.

> headphone distribution box?

How "hot" does it have to be? Normal, or live music around drummers?

Does everybody get the same level? (If not, what you really want is a lot of individual headphone amps.)

The general plan is to use a loudspeaker amp plus series resistors. An 8 Watt 8Ω ohm speaker amp (cheap hi-fi) with a separate 27Ω series resistor for each ear will work fine up to 7 32Ω headphones (or up to 3 dead shorts).

Looks like we are in at the same time !! :green:
you get that

As PRR said ... there are mix issues to consider ... same mix ... same EQ ... same level ... etc etc
how complicated do you want to get in the future and try to make things that can grow with your needs.

headphonedist_10_120.JPG
headphonedist__close_10_120.JPG

Thanks Guys

Sorry Kev!!!!! I should know a lot of things.

I need to think about that now.

Bec

the paia project is a good one for doing a straight forward opamp project
I took the schematic and put it on a a 2 by 3 " card and found an old
headphone distribution box at a flea market for 5 bucks . It was a great diy
as I did the board from scratch. Used free software to design the pcb
etc . The actual project uses 5532 op amps so it's cheap and sounds great
plenty of power if you use a 15 volt power supply instead of the 12 you could probably go higher but you some caps might have to be changed. Great way to set up an infastructure for DIY and get a good usable end product.

I built the Paia kit and have used it for years with no problems. It's decent sounding and reasonably robust, although I wouldn't call it rugged.

:thumb:

Back