MXL & others w/797 capsule: compile definitive list ?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bradzatitagain

Hey hey,

Anybody into this?

Based on a couple hours of searching archives and metas I've only got five absolute answers for this one:

V67 3 micron round grill 3 layer
2001 3 micron 251 type grill 2 layer (this may be inaccurate)
2003 6 micron 251 type grill 2 layer (a Gus recommended item!)

others
Berhinger B2 Pro grill unknown
All Studio Projects c800 type grill unknown

My queries re: the capsules in:
Musician'sFiend V63M (same as Mars V93M mentioned?)
Nady TCM 1050
Nady TCM 1100
MXL V77

Wrote to Nady, MXL and Berhinger customer service asking which mics they've produced in the last 5 years that have the 797 Audio capsule will post replies if I rcve any.

I PROMISE I'll read the capsule mod Meta (and all others I've missed to date) before I go nuts w/queries, however I had a few speculative notions while shoveling my way through the Metas, will toss them out there just for folks to speculate on, I'm not looking for any answers in particular. ---

1)Automobile radio tube power supply for mic tubes, see Wellbourne's hifi linestage & psu:

http://www.welbornelabs.com/ultra.htm

Just need to choose an appropriate tube. I'm far from a tube characteristics expert, maybe somebody here has an idea. The ECC86/CGM8 in this linestage may have favorable characteristics for a mic tube, I don't see why not. Still need to charge the capsule so conventional psu in tandem would be needed (??? is this actually the case?) but my thinking is more along the lines of tube availability/cost as compared to the insanely priced nos minitubes and scarce substitutes.

2)Has anyone made a Lomo type head for the small condensor bodies? Would require the "vocal" style capsule like the MXL 990 and some machining to fab a mount. Similar benefits of Lomo mount: one preamp body (pencil,) two mics. Could also add polar pattern switch to Lomo type head (maybe???) The Marik recommended MCA SP1 capsule (in the 990 and others) perhaps.

and 3) Does anyone here share with me the somewhat perverse desire to mod an MXL 990, stuff a tube in the body and the xfrmr in the psu? I can't tell you why I want to do this, but it's approaching "overwhelming desire" status. It's just so darned CUTE!

Okay then!
Brad

I think the 990 sounds better than most of the MXL LD mics for vocals. I have two, and would love to tube mod them.

You could do the royer SD mod. The 990 is just a side address version of the 603s.

Shane

Shane,

Just looked at the 770 ($10 buck more,) which is the same as a 990 w/ a pad, a high pass filter and a bit of a longer body. So, it should have a threaded base w/a 3 position switch, nice. Wonder if this back plate can be split??? For $80 it's certainly worth a try. FYI: Cinemag's CMMS-3 is direct equivalent for the Jense MB-D Dave Royer calls out, less expensive for sure.

Brad

The 770 looks cool too, but from the published curve (even though we know that's not worth much) it looks nothing like the 990. I have not tried the 770, but the 990 is a pretty surprising mic! I have read a lot of praise for the 603s, and many people have suggested that it works great for vox. MXL jut went ahead and marketed it that way.

Through a nice Neve or API you'd be hard pressed to guess its' heritage from its' sound.

Shane

[quote author="bradzatitagain"]2001 3 micron... 2003 6 micron... [/quote]These two are backwards. The 2003 has the 797 3 micron capsule and the 2001 uses the Shanghai style 6 micron.

SP B3 and C3 are multipattern 3 and 6 micron

nady 1050 is multpattern 3 micron 32mm brand?

B2 pro is mult 6 micron

the m audio Solaris is 3 micron mult and it looks like a 797 audio capsule

797 cardiods

mxl 2003 3 micron seems to be good for female voice 797

SP C1 6 micron 797

m audio luna LOOKS like a 797 audio capsule

SP B1 3 micron

The mxl 2001,mxl 1006, nady 950, mxl V67, mxl v69 are 6 micron 32mm

Rara, I'm curious about the Studio Projects C3, check it out: 34.5mm dual membrane. I wonder what this is? B1, et al, have the 32mm. If the C3 has a new capsule it's bound to show up in other mics. Anybody know about this one?

Haven't found a discussion of adding a diaphragm to one sided capsules yet, maybe this can't be done?

Somebody also verified the MXL V63M has a 6 micron 797 in it, they've got them going for $80 at MF, I grabbed a couple. Body like the V67, which I like better than the 2001 2003; for Royer LD tube mod. Royer's choice of xfrmrs is interesting, a spliiter for the SD, a DI xfrmr for the LD. The Jensen for the SD is $100, kind of much...

rgrds,
Brad

Nady scm 1000, 1.1 inch, three patterns, doesn't state thickness (states "ultra-thin") but is grouped the the 950 on Nady's site, as though it is the two sided version of the 950 capsule. 797 I don't know, but we aren't certain who makes the 1050 either. Strangely the spec for the 1050 at Nady state it's 25mm. Anyway, $89 for the SCM1000 makes it the least expensive 3 pattern capsule mentioned so far.

v63m question. Is the hold down ring brass or plastic and how many screws 18 or 14. Who verifided it is a 797. Good transformers cost money. If the 63 has the 1006 circuit it can sound good modded

Gus, local studio yokel said yes in fact it's a 797. I don't know, however, if the v63 has a transformer or a fet circuit. It's one of those special issue mics, like the ones "only available" at MF, Music123, Mars, etc. SAme body as the v67 but painted black. Don't know about the rings or screw numbers yet but I'll hit you back when the mics gets here. $80 gets you the mic and a shock mount, "m" designates Mogami wire.

Do you know anything about the multipattern in the Nady SCM1000? They have it teamed up with the 950 on their site:
http://www.nadywireless.com/products/product_pgs/scmmics_pg2.html
But that could be meaningless. Could be good news if it's the dual version of the 950 capsule it's only $90 and it isn't quite as fugly as the Behringer B2 body.

Brad

[quote author="bradzatitagain"]Gus, local studio yokel said yes in fact it's a 797. I don't know, however, if the v63...[/quote]Nope, Brent Casey said it's the same capsule as the 1006 and the V57, so it can''t be a 797. I'm pretty sure the "M" means it's a left over Mars version of the V63.

Hmmm, I think Gus just listed the 1006 a couple posts up as a 797? Or are all those listed, 2001, 1006 V67 V69 Nady 950 the same unknown brand of 32mm 6 micron? These are Shangai???

Both Nady CM90 and SCM1000 are dead ringers for 797 Audio BODIES, check it out:

http://www.797audio.com/chanpin/huatong/CR-DR/CR1-4/cr14.htm

and the 1000:

http://www.797audio.com/chanpin/huatong/CR-DR/CR616/cr616.htm

No I did not! READ the meta! I buy or have been in microphones, I post about. Your posts are distorting the work done by me an others.

I did not ever say a 32mm was a 797 capsule get your facts right.

As I presently understand it, based on answers in this thread and from stuff I've read elsewhere in (hours) of searches and (hours) of meta thread reading, the list now looks like this:

Multi-pattern 797 Audio brand capsules are in the following mics:

Studio Projects B3, 3 micron
Studio Projects C3, 6 micron
Behringer B2 Pro, 6 micron

Cardioid only 797 Audi brand capsules are in the following mics

MXL 2003, 3 micron
Studio Projects B1, 3 micron
Studio Projects C1, 6 micron

Additions and corrections requested. I won't include mics w/ Shangai style capsules or any mics whose capsule manufacture is unknown, since the original question I asked was "Which mics have 797 Audio brand capsules?" Adding others to the list here certainly confuses me, I'm sure it would confuse others.

The reason I asked this question is so I can make an informed microphone purchase. I don't have the resources or the knowledge to modify capsules themselves at this time. I would like to build a Royer mod mic, a Gyraf G7 and try my hand at the C800G projects others on the list have accomplished, Gus, Duka, et.al. I'd like to have the 797 capsule based on comments made especially by Gus, that it's the best candidate of the many capsules in cheapo mics available.

I'm certain I'm not the only person on list who'd like to know the skinny on the 797 stuff. I wish it were possible to just buy the damned microphones directly from 797, I wish I had a friend in HongKong, that's just what I'd do. Failing that, I'm just trying to compile a list not only for myself but for anybody who's interested. This thread has been read 250 times but has only 6 or 7 authors: some folks are obviously curious.

rgrds,
Brad

Brad, I believe you can add the straight Behringer B2 to the list. Duka and I compared capsule pictures, and they look the same.

Regards

ju

hope this helps

as a general rule white plastic ring 34mm overall dia 14 screws a side 12 to hold the ring to the backplate and 2 to hold the backplates together is a 797 capsule. They look alot like a real neumann k67/87

797s I own C1 1 side 6 micron,mxl2003 1 side 3micron,beriger B2 pro 2 sides 6 micron.

Ones I have looked at or have been informed of from good people. The m audio luna looks like it is a 797 audio 1 side, solaris 797 2 sides.

SP b1 1 side 3 micron ,b3 2 sides 3 micron.

My rode nt1000 looks like a 797 capsule of some type

The following look like the same capsules (not 797)
6 micron 32mm brass ring 18 screws a side 1 side
nady 950 , Mxl1006,2001,v69,v67,v57,

3 micron 32mm brass ring 18 screws Nady TCM1050 and some of the other nadys(not 797). I have not been inside a 1000

One of the sampsons I saw CL7? has what looks like a 32mm with a plastic ring and 18 screws don't know who made it.

It is my understanding the china companys sell bodies and capsule etc to each other so body shape can mislead you.

FWIW The manley cardiod looks like a china brass ring 32mm brass capsule.

The bore sizes, depth, the distance between holes as well as the tension and air volume cause alot of differences.

The 32mm 6 micros are not bad, but the capsules built more like a neumann k67 k87 seem to sound the best to me. I will soon have a K87 capsule to take apart and measure ( I bought a used one in bad shape) and compare to a 797 copy.

[quote author="Gus"]hope this helps

The following look like the same capsules
6 micron 32mm brass ring 18 screws a side 1 side
nady 950 , Mxl1006,2001,v69,v67,v57,

3 micron 32mm brass ring 18 screws Nady TCM1050 and some of the other nadys. I have not been inside a 1000

One of the sampsons I saw CL7? has what looks like a 32mm with a plastic ring and 18 screws don't know who made it.

It is my understanding the china companys sell bodies and capsule etc to each other so body shape can mislead you.

FWIW The manley cardiod looks like a china 32mm brass capsule.

The bore sizes, depth, the distance between holes as well as the tension and air volume cause alot of differences.

The 32mm 6 micros are not bad, but the capsules built more like a neumann k67 k87 seem to sound the best to me. I will soon have a K87 capsule to take apart and measure ( I bought a used one in bad shape) and compare to a 797 copy.[/quote]

Gus, I hate to seem critical but this part of your list is still potentially misleading. To clarify: The capsules in the last half of your list in your second post, as quoted above, are NOT 797 Audio products, correct? Or is it the case that the manufacture of these capsules is merely unknown? Don't mean to make you prickly, boss, just doin' my journalistic duties.

The categories to describe capsules would be DEFINITELY 797s, MAYBE 797s and NOT 797s. We could leave the NOT 797s out since they're not germain to this particular thread, but we could describe them in a larger list, as I suggested off list.

rgrds,
Brad

No 32mm capsules that I know of would be more correct for 797. I don't know what they build and sell in china.

In other words, 797 Audio DOES NOT MAKE 32mm CAPSULES, according to Gus

I did not say that!!!!!!!!! get it right please don't post misinformation!

Latest posts

Back