LA-2a style hinged-front Case

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SSLtech

So I received that LA-2a case which I bought on eBay some weeks ago (it was shipped to my mother, who then re-shipped it to the USA since the first seller wouldn't ship internationally).

I was looking at making an affordable hinge-fronted version, but I see some issues:

Everyone will almost certainly use the same pots, switches, octal sockets, tube sockets, turret boards etc. (or at least, hole-compatible versions) -but the meter and the transformers are difficult.

Not everyone wants to use UTC transformers, and not everyone wants to use those... -not everyone can find or AFFORD them! In the BLOO version this was addressed by making separate 'adaptor plates' for each transformer type. -This is technically possible again, but I wonder if people will want to go to the extra expense...

In addition, the front panel METER is another problem. The original meter was a Beede, but they no longer supply in quantities under a thousand (at over $100 each, that's a $100,000 investment which I know we can't make!) -The best meter that you can easily get is a Sifam, but the Sifam which fits the Beede-sized hole is too deep for the inside of the LA-2a body, and collides with the turret board when you shut the front panel. There is a HOYT option, but their meters simply do not read accurately... -Sure, they fit the hole and look alright, but I don't like them

-If I make it with a hole for a meter which won't fit most meters available, (API meters fall right through the Beede hole, for example) then that's no use to most builders.

-If I made them with "Cut your own meter and transformer holes, I'd expect most people not to be happy with the idea.... but I'm tossing the notion out there, just in case people think it's acceptable.

Basically, here's the deal: -If enough people are interested and can agree on a COMMON set of transformer and meter holes, there might be enough interest to do the run. -I'm asking to see if people can agree on what they'd want.

Keith

If I were buying one, I'd prefer the Hoyt option. Who really looks at the meters on these things anyway???

I would stick to your key word "affordable", and cut the holes for affordable transformers...

If you where to go with some holes not drilled it would be great to have the original measurements for these so that you can at least get a ball park figure to go off of.
Do you think you might let loose all the measurements for the total all out DIY crew? :cool:

I'm with DrPat. The Hoyt seems like the best contender for "plug and play" operation. Less fuss, less muss. Who really is using the meter anyway with these things?

I vote for people making the back panel cuts on their own and have the front panel precut for the Hoyt. If people were to cut their own fronts and blow the cut, it's hard to hide. Whereas the back side, well.... :wink:

Besides, aren't round holes easier to cut than square holes? :roll: :green:

[quote author="SSLtech"]So I received that LA-2a case which I bought on eBay some weeks ago (it was shipped to my mother, who then re-shipped it to the USA since the first seller wouldn't ship internationally).

I was looking at making an affordable hinge-fronted version, but I see some issues:

Everyone will almost certainly use the same pots, switches, octal sockets, tube sockets, turret boards etc. (or at least, hole-compatible versions) -but the meter and the transformers are difficult.

Not everyone wants to use UTC transformers, and not everyone wants to use those... -not everyone can find or AFFORD them! In the BLOO version this was addressed by making separate 'adaptor plates' for each transformer type. -This is technically possible again, but I wonder if people will want to go to the extra expense...

In addition, the front panel METER is another problem. The original meter was a Beede, but they no longer supply in quantities under a thousand (at over $100 each, that's a $100,000 investment which I know we can't make!) -The best meter that you can easily get is a Sifam, but the Sifam which fits the Beede-sized hole is too deep for the inside of the LA-2a body, and collides with the turret board when you shut the front panel. There is a HOYT option, but their meters simply do not read accurately... -Sure, they fit the hole and look alright, but I don't like them

-If I make it with a hole for a meter which won't fit most meters available, (API meters fall right through the Beede hole, for example) then that's no use to most builders.

-If I made them with "Cut your own meter and transformer holes, I'd expect most people not to be happy with the idea.... but I'm tossing the notion out there, just in case people think it's acceptable.

Basically, here's the deal: -If enough people are interested and can agree on a COMMON set of transformer and meter holes, there might be enough interest to do the run. -I'm asking to see if people can agree on what they'd want.

Keith[/quote]

Why not ask an old colleague of yours with the intials J W he might be able to help you out?? :wink: :wink:

[quote author="ChrioN"]They actually sell real authentic empty cases on ebay now? :shock:[/quote]

No it was a dealer rack fill unit.. A true case made up as a LA2A with correct knobs pots etc, just missing the guts. Would light up as if real also..

There was quite a few items from different mfg's up at the time, allegedly this is common practice.

[quote author="tonebucket"]Why not ask an old colleague of yours with the intials J W he might be able to help you out?? :wink: :wink:[/quote]
:?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

?

[quote author="kato"]Keef - is it aluminum or steel?[/quote]
It's Aluminium...

Keith

[quote author="SSLtech"][quote author="tonebucket"]Why not ask an old colleague of yours with the intials J W he might be able to help you out?? :wink: :wink:[/quote]
:?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

?

Keith[/quote]

I will PM you.

Got it.

-We were never actually colleagues, but I just sent him an email, and insulted him enough to make sure that he's angry when he writes back to me! :twisted:

:wink:

Keef

Good man!

Among the meter choices, is there a smallest cut that conforms to every reasonable possibility? In other words, a hole that can be expanded upon for larger sizes without having excess in any direction for any of the various choices? Sounds like the Sifam doesn't work mechanically without a total case redesign, in which case, what's the point?

On the xfrmrs, I'd probably stick with the stock cut and let people sort out their bits for other types. After all, if you are going so far already for an exact clone profile, why cut for something else?

Latest posts

Back