Block diagram of the Neve 1073 EQ and Calrec Polar EQ?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Consul

Yes, I know I could study the schematics and figure this out, but I'm hoping someone has already done that and I can be lazy.

I'm just wondering about the general signal flow of these two EQs, which filter the signal flows through first, where it goes from there, etc. Knowing the curves and cutoffs of each filter would be nice as well, but that's information I can get out of the literature, usually.

If anyone's curious, this is to code a couple of plugins for the Linux operating system. The final results will be Open Source, i.e., I will make no money. It's also to help me learn the ins and outs of DSP programming. Thanks for the help!

a lot of the magic of a 1073 , to me at least, is that the signal flow of actual signal is quite minimal. each turn of a switch puts the flow through a different path specific to that gain setting and filter. it looks like a dozen of stupid simple discrete preamps.

That sounds like a great exercise for when I learn how to do Laplace transforms, or at least, learn how to enter what I need into the software that can do Laplace transforms for me. The thing is, if the Laplace transforms for each "stupid simple" circuit are the same (or close enough), then it doesn't matter that that's how the hardware is designed, the software version will simply implement the transform with the appropriate parameters at any one time.

The thing I'm interested in is the fact that there are basically four circuits the signal always travels through: High shelf, 2 peaks, and a low boost/cut. What order do those happen in?

I do want to learn Laplace transforms eventually. The sooner the better, actually.

(As an aside, Robert Bristow-Johnson's EQ Cookbook article is built upon a bilinear transform, rather than a Laplace. I'd like to figure those out, too.)

Oh, hey! It does. How did I miss that? I feel stupid now. I also notice it has only one peaking filter and not two. That'll make the implementation a tiny bit easier.

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back