AC30 Simulator Circuit...

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thermionic

As with most interesting things one finds on the 'web, I came across this by accident: http://www.keyboardpartner.de/hammond/diagrams/tube_schematics/AC30sim.pdf

The problem appears to be that the author has taken down all schematics, so we don't have all the resistor values...

I wouldn't look to such a thing for amping a real guitar, but a half-decent AC30 simulator would be fun for putting synths through.

Justin

[quote author="thermionic"] but a half-decent AC30 simulator would be fun for putting synths through.[/quote]
Dunno for sure, but I'd expect getting one of of those $99 DSP-sim-boxes like the V-Amp etc (or doing an alike thing in a DAW) would save you DIY-time that can be spent elsewhere.

[quote author="clintrubber"][quote author="thermionic"] but a half-decent AC30 simulator would be fun for putting synths through.[/quote]
Dunno for sure, but I'd expect getting one of of those $99 DSP-sim-boxes like the V-Amp etc (or doing an alike thing in a DAW) would save you DIY-time that can be spent elsewhere.[/quote]

But that would be digital; where's the fun in that?

J

[quote author="thermionic"]But that would be digital; where's the fun in that?
[/quote]
True, less fun, but quicker results and probably 'more real'as well.
I'd love to make me this'n'that, but if there's some equivalent out there that's as good or good enough then I buy & spend DIY-time on the things (gear) that can't be bought. Just an approach, and less fun, but there are only a few hours in the day.

I'd be curious to know though how the 'Geofex' would compare to DSP.

But talking about DIY, based on the BOM & PCB I guess the circuit can be traced.

Enjoy,

Peter

Yeah, I believe the story on that circuit was that the original author managed to sell/license it to a major manufacturer. I've always wondered what product(s) contain it. Check this site for some interesting circuits that might get you going:

RunOffGroove

A P

If this was a German guy then it's probably the same person that licensed this to TC Electronic. He's an electronics teacher. He spent years developing this because he's crazy about Brian May. I've spoken with him a few times.
Sad part is it sounds nothing at all like an AC30. And I prefer the distortion of just about any other pedal over this particular one.

Build a G9 and overdrive the input,or buy yourself a little Fender Blues Junior and mic it. You'll be much happier.

Thanks, Tim.

I have access to real amps / valve outboard / distortion processors - for some reason, this project looked interesting for synths and things.

Justin

[quote author="thermionic"]Thanks, Tim.

I have access to real amps / valve outboard / distortion processors - for some reason, this project looked interesting for synths and things.

Justin[/quote]

Tim, the "English Channel" at www.runoffgroove.com will get you VERY close
and is about 100 X easier to build.
Stick a rangemaster up front and it's "May Heaven" !!
I can highly recommend it.

MM.

I never heard any analog discrete component simulator to sound anything like a tube amp.

Why don't you build a tube pre-amp or better still build theearly version of the AC30 amp, but make it single ended and one channel only ..... strip it back to bare bones, this you could do with 1 x 12AX7 and 1 x EL84. Stick a Line Output on it for recording and it double's as a proactioce amp or stage monitor amp for keys. This is a pretty simple build and simpler than the simulator.

Michael

I've used the top circuit here; it's a verified good-sounding cab simulator if built with quality stuff.

http://kanak.perl.it/amptronic/cream-fin.jpg

Iiiiinteresting...

I assume the valve section and associated transformer (middle-right of the diagram) would add another degree of authenticity to the sim'ed output. Any idea what kind of transformer TR2 is?

Latest posts

Back