Edcor Transformer Fun

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg

Edcors.jpg

Aren't they cute !

These are going into a console this weekend !!! :cool:

The model is Edcor PC10K/10K.

I'm converting a live, FOH console for studio use. The board has a non-balanced line input, which we are converting to balanced to accomodate long cable runs.

I will keep the camera handy this week and document the process.

I would hesitate putting them so close to each other and orienting equally, that's why I thought it is a PS.

any news on this Greg?
Having similar plans in the coming months, I am curious to hear your findings :sam:

The install was pushed back at least a couple weeks. Will definitely post when we get the transformers installed.

[quote author="Greg"]The install was pushed back at least a couple weeks. Will definitely post when we get the transformers installed.[/quote]

It will be interesting to know about crosstalk...

[quote author="RogerFoote"]Wavebourne

Why would he get more crosstalk than any other large frame console that uses transformers? Just curious.

[/quote]

Because magnetic fields are aligned in one line, transformers are not shielded, and close to each other.

i don't know for certain if greg will see a problem, but the cause for concern is that the bobbins are all oriented in a line. the field extends directly out along the axis of the bobbin/coil, and then wraps back around the bobbin.

stacked on top of each other, as roger suggests, the lines of the field would not align as strongly, though some coupling is possible.

at normal line levels i do not think there will be a problem. the strength of the field falls off sharply with distance, so even a CM or so may be enough distance to avoid problems.

ed

[quote author="RogerFoote"]Envision an API console with mic preamps next to each other.

Side by side with lams in proximity is less prone to crosstalk than if the bobbins are close as in API designs. 312 preamps for example.
There is a plate between them and if it is steel will add some isolation but not much. Less with aluminum.

I have seen vintage consoles with output iron in close proximity.
Imagine how large the case would have to be if every other transformer was orientd at 90 degrees from their neighbors.

I've often wondered about this...[/quote]

May be it is the secret of the "Glue" :green:

Back