IT Server Q's

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rochey

White Market Member
Folks,

not sure where to ask, and didn't want the rigamarole of trying to register at multiple forums to ask teh question. I have some basic questions/issues with some server stuff for this expataudio deal I'm trying to support.

I have a server I want to use to backup data to, serve files from and potentially run a terminal server on. It's currently running server 2003.
However, its in the garage at the moment, as it's running 24/7.

In the UK, I ran a PC in the basement for over 12 months without a reset. It was wonderful - perfect even!

However, Garage temperatures in Dallas are terrifyingly hot. The ambient temp during the day can increase significantly.

So... here's my question:
Without spending a ton of money, what is the best way I can stop the server from overheating, or the heat shortinging the lifespan of the cpu/memory/hard drives?

Also, I'm thinking about running a terminal server over the web running things like design software for the 3 designers we have for expat audio outside Dallas. How and where do I go about this?

Thanks again

Rochey

Move the server into the house.

Air-condition the garage: your car deserves it.

Virtualize your day-job office PC and leave it on. Your boss may never catch you.

Server 2003 will run fine on one of those VIA CPUs. They use like 3 Watts. Put a good fan on it, it will simmer happily even in Dallas. NewEgg used to have a barebones case with VIA 800MHz and that runs my departmental fileserver. That seems to be gone but they have the ITX motherboards with fanless VIA 800MHz.

I had zero PC failures the summer my flat-roof building went without A/C all summer. 90 deg F day and 88 deg F at night. It was even hotter in the Lab. I have six PCs which go down only when backhoes kiss power lines.

Modern chips will run at molten solder temperature. Leakage will be out of spec, and that can stall fast CPUs, but they recover.

> server over the web ...for the 3 designers ...outside Dallas.

If it is Mission Critical, rent a server in a space better than a Dallas garage. Dallas and Houston are filthy with hosting outfits, but it could be anywhere in the world.

http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp?PID=27131 might do the trick just to lower the temp a bit

difficult to cool roomproperly without AC though

Latest posts

Back