Multicore cables... cheap or expensive ones.. ?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nrgrecording

Hi there.

I need a 30m (~1200 inch) multicore cable for my studio. (32 pairs).
But whats the difference between the cheap ones for 200€ incl. stagebox and xlrs and a mogami cable for 1600€ without any connectors?

I know the china connectors are bad, but I wanted to cut off the stagebox, make a new 19" panel and use neutrik XLRs.
I think the cheap XLRs at the mixer-side don't needs to be changed to better ones because I will not touch them as long as I don't change the console.

Probably a stupid question... but whats the advantage of the expensive cable? Wonder-Copper? Special audio plastic around the copper? And whats the advantage of oxygen-free copper? Anyone has the specs of any china-cable? (wire/wire capacity) :roll:

Frank.

- more oxydation with time, with cheap cable the copper get oxydation inside plastic cover (not a mythe, i've seen that)
- the twisted pair is sometimes not absolutly rigth covered by the ground wire

I went "cheap" with Gepco -straight from the company. Very well made cable but a bit stiff. I would rather spend in other areas than get into the cabling debates.

I went with sommercable for my studio wiring, being situated Germany, that's a good option. Check the "Aktionen" section on their website and give them a call, they might even go down further with the price.

I have a mixture of stuff in my studio, some good 16 way balanced looms
with Belden cable, some DIY cables with Belden/Neutrik and some cheap
balanced looms costing £30 for an 8 way.
So long as they are not constantly pulled in/out etc I can tell zero difference
between any of them.
Recently bought some new balanced cables, Jack-XLR etc from Ebay, they
were about £7 each and they are well made and work fine and dandy.

Spend more time working on your songs and mixes, than reading on the dangers
of cheap cable !!!

MM.

Back