Alternatives to FrontpanelsExpress?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kafka

I was wondering if anyone knows of any alternatives to Frontpanels Express for engraved, filled work. I've got a small run to do, and it kind of bugs me that the most expensive part is the front panel.

Or, if there's a silkscreener you've worked with, that would work, too. Any solution is good, but it has to look pro, so that means I can't do it. :) Thanks.

[quote author="vertiges"]Have tried to search in this forum before asking ? :wink:

eD)))[/quote]
Yes, I did, and I didn't see any recommendations for vendors. Do you have a suggestion for a vendor, or is this just a hypothetical question?

No, unfortunately, I don't have any suggestion. :cry:
It seems that everyone has the same problem here... the metal work is the worst part !!! :evil:

By the way, where are you on the planet ?

I think Ptownkid (a member of this forum) will offer soon drilling and engraving services... (now, he has plenty of room in its new garage :green: )

eD)))

I am working on developing a library of designs
but many trophy engravers can take a file and some will backfill
the ink as well . check which software they accept and make a custom !

Kafka,

If you put your location in your profile, it'll be much easier to help you with geographically specific questions like this. We're from all over the world, ya' know..

Jakob E.

[quote author="gyraf"]Kafka,

If you put your location in your profile, it'll be much easier to help you with geographically specific questions like this. We're from all over the world, ya' know..

Jakob E.[/quote]

OK, fair enough. Done. Although, to be honest with you, I'd outsource this to China if I could save some $$ on it. :wink:

I've posted this here before, but since you are asking for a specific vendor I'll post again. I send my panels out for laser engraving:

http://www.vtlaserworks.com
(use IE to view the site)

Very cheep (compared to Front Panel Express or to one-off screen printing), easy to work with, very professional results. I'm sure I could find a local trophy shop to work with too, but frankly it's easier for me to just ship the stuff out.

-Chris

I am setting up for short run screening but I am not quite ready for prime-time yet. It is not so easy to get the fine line detail that is needed as it would appear at first. I did some screening a while ago but there is a big difference between t-shirts and panels. Once the screen is prepped and set up on the press, a lot of panels can be done in a relatively short time (although there is an over-night drying period needed for multi-colors).

press_setup.jpg

painted_screened_panels.jpg

I've called around to all the trophy shops in the bay area and none will do front panels with back fill. I found a high-end lazer shop in silicon valley, but it's like $300 per 2U panel. I also found a silk screen shop, it's like $100 per panel. You'd think in a high population area like bay area you'd find options, but appears not. I know Shadow Hills has a couple shops in the LA area they use for lazer engraving with fill, but he told me it's over $120 per panel.

Pucho, maybe if you read this you could let us know the options in LA. I've forgotten the name of the shop now.

Laser engraving is closer to $50 for a 2U panel. By this, I mean using the laser to ablate off the colored oxide layer (which leaves a 2D white marking), not ablating deep channels like a mechanical engraving would do. No in-fill is required.

There are also options to make dark markings (like for a clear anodized panel) by using a chemical oxidizer after ablation.

-Chris

A few years ago I had my local Sign-A-Rama laser engrave panels for a synthesizer project. Many of their stores have the capability for engraving glass and metal plaques. I had to speak with the manager of the store to get my ideas across and he needed some sample material for testing.
On black anodized aluminum the result was quite acceptable. The engraving came out white.

They have many locations and can be found in countries other than the US.
http://sarsign-px.smrtlnk.com/locations/index.asp

I was charged $5 per panel in the FRAC format.

[quote author="Chae H Ham"]
Hi Kafka,

I offer laser engraving services if you're interested in going the laser route. I'm in MD so feel free to give me a shout. Here's a short description of what we can do: www.prodigy-eng.com/services.html[/quote]

Excellent! I'll give you a call.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions! Maybe we can collect all this info into the Meta? :wink:

Latest posts

Back