Cost of IPOD manufacture?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1? or 10 million?

Still I am late to the iPod game but boy, are they slick! I feel like I have something from the future. But come on, whats with the ear buds? horrible sound.

consider this... if you can buy a cheap chinese knockoff for $20 vs the $150 price... i suspect the COB on the apple to be very low.

However, you're not paying for the COB. You're paying for a label, a brand and a group of awsome designers that build rock solid products.

even if the COB is relatively low (probably a little higher than the chinese knockoffs) - the research and technology that goes into the design is far superior.

I ask because our company is looking for a new product and a couple of us engineers have come up with an idea that involves much of the same design and manufacture principles of cheap, easy to manufacture and test, looks good, is easy to use and is fairly reliable. We gave a presentation to the VP and he has done something very untraditional..

He gave us the go ahead to build our business plan for ourselves!

This won't include marketing or management, just a group of engineers with a plan and a partial working prototype! If we can get the COB around 1/3rd of the intended sales price, we will get the green light to complete the product. This is a huge undertaking but will be greatly rewarded. The design is already half working with only a month's work(very very very quick by company standards) and believe that the rest of the circuit design will only take another month. The bulk of the time will be the business plan and the details of the manufacturing plan as well as test/verification planning.

[quote author="Svart"]I ask because our company is looking for a new product and a couple of us engineers have come up with an idea that involves much of the same design and manufacture principles of cheap, easy to manufacture and test, looks good, is easy to use and is fairly reliable. We gave a presentation to the VP and he has done something very untraditional..

He gave us the go ahead to build our business plan for ourselves!

This won't include marketing or management, just a group of engineers with a plan and a partial working prototype! If we can get the COB around 1/3rd of the intended sales price, we will get the green light to complete the product. This is a huge undertaking but will be greatly rewarded. The design is already half working with only a month's work(very very very quick by company standards) and believe that the rest of the circuit design will only take another month. The bulk of the time will be the business plan and the details of the manufacturing plan as well as test/verification planning.[/quote]

May it be used as a console for Web applications over Wi-fi?

Back