Solo a channel, with all the other channels active aswell..?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrioN

Is there a way to solo a single channel, and hear it as it would be heard when all the other channels are "on" at the same time?

For example, if I have 2 channels, one is kick and one is bass. When I solo the kick it sounds great, but when both channels are "on" they smear eachother out. Is there a way to solo one channel but still hear how the other channels are effecting it?

This would involve some cancelation tricks I suppose...

For example, taking the kick + bass signal > add to this the inverted sound of the bass alone > your left with the kick sound and also a tiny piece of effected bass sound :sad:

Hm, don't think this is possible since both sounds are effecting eachother..

:roll: :?: :shock:

Could the answer be related to your signature ? :wink:

I'm trying to understand what you mean... could it be of help perhaps to solo both kick & bass, but attenuate the 'disturing' sound and see what happens to it when gradually fading in the 'disturbance' ?

In most mixer schematics I have seen, the solo is on its own bus
So maybe it is a bandwidth issue ? What is your summing topology ?
Why not mute all the other channels, to listen the one you want, but not through the solo bus, but through the Main Mix bus ?
But it could be possible that I completly misunderstand the problem here :) (likely)

[quote author="ChrioN"]Is there a way to solo a single channel, and hear it as it would be heard when all the other channels are "on" at the same time?

For example, if I have 2 channels, one is kick and one is bass. When I solo the kick it sounds great, but when both channels are "on" they smear eachother out. Is there a way to solo one channel but still hear how the other channels are effecting it?[/quote]

No, but you can solo both channels that are stepping on each other and see what you can do to make them play nice together.

JR

This isn't a solo problem, it's an operator problem.

SSLs have SIF (solo-in-front) but that changes the balance.

What you're asking for is impossible: "Can I hear how it sounds when it's not soloed... when it's soloed?"

First a lot of people here are confused with what you're asking and have posted what THEY think you're asking... "solo buss is a different buss" as an example. -First, WHAT SORT OF SOLO do you mean? In-place solo ISN'T a bus, it's just an instruction to turn things off... PFL and AFL are seperate buses.

You're asking if it's possible to 'preview' how much interference a sound will experience when other things interfere with it... The answer is no. -the other sounds can be ANYTHING.

Do a few years of live front-of-house work: -It'll get you OUT of the habit of evaluating sounds in solo. -It's a bad practice, and the reason why is what you're not quite grasping. STOP soloing, make things work together.

Solo is useful for chasing noises, for evaluating spillage, for quickly chasing bad notes, for dozens of other things, but NEVER for evaluating sounds which will never be heard in isolation. -If your bass and kick are going to work together in a song, MAKE THEM WORK TOGETHER or they'll never work together.

Asking what you asked is like asking how to see with a blindfold on.

Keith

STOP soloing, make things work together.

ABSOFUCKINGLUTELY.

What I want is a button that explains this to clients.

I had this today:

Room mics + Overheads + X*(Snare top mic) - Y*(Snare bottom) = shite.

Room mics + Overheads - X*(Snare top) + Y*(Snare bottom) = great.
(where X and Y = fader levels).

No amount of soloing will sort that out. But pushing the phase switches in the mix convinced 3 clients in a second, and let me avoid excessive eq, compression etc. (.."the snare should cut through more etc")

Back