Variable Frequency Low Pass

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott S.

I am looking for ideas for an easily freqeuncy variable lowpass filter, ie adjustable with a single pot. Want to maintain a constant 6 db/oct rollof as the frequncy is adjusted.

One way that could work I think is a simple RL voltage divider where the L is a gyrator circuit. Effectively this is identical to using the standard graphic EQ circuit, remove the C of the "RLC string", and set for full cut. Although I guess this is actually a very deep shelving EQ, but would work for my purposes.

A state variable filter takes a dual gang pot to vary frequency (IIRC?) but that is a possibility.

Any other simple ways to do this? Switching capacitor size in an integrator circuit is another option, but that is not continuously variable.

Yes indeed i knew there had to be an easy way I was overlooking...

And the frequency range I need it for does not create any opamp drive or capacitor related issues, so I think we have a winner!

Thanks JR

[quote author="gyraf"]naa, synths are usually much more than 6dB/oct..[/quote]

They have filters with variable slopes. However, he did not specify the range of tuning, so may be a pot and a cap will be enough...

You can make whatever you want, but in general if you use an opamp buffer you can make a 2 pole or even 3 pole filter without much more cost/complexity.

A one pole rolloff is gradual and has significant interaction in band before it rolls off. For a given -3dB half power tuning frequency, it will also be -1 dB at 2f and -.1 db at 10f.

Using an active 2 pole or 2 pole + 1 passive, you can under damp the active section to give you steep attenuation in the stop band with less loss of in band gain just before roll off.

If one pole is all you want or need, go for it, but don't expect to find much written on the subject. Back when I was selling kits I sold a little stereo 2 pole HPF and LPF set.

JR

Back